Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 AM

Default ($27) Just because they should fold...

Going through HHs. This hand was from awhile back. Anyone not push this?

Reads: he was shortstacked for awhile early, doubled up when he pushed my blind for less than 2xBB with A5, I called with A3 and lost. After that he had done a lot of taking pots away post flop, I don't think he raised preflop once he doubled up that hand but he was doing a ton of stopandgoing and other postflop aggression.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero (t4580)
UTG (t455)
Button (t3710)
SB (t4755)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4530</font>,
Old 10-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: ($27) Just because they should fold...

If he's an idiot, no, I wouldn't push because they can't let those pretty Ax sooted go. They don't care about the small stack, doesn't even enter their mind.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:04 AM

I push this all the time if their somewhat sensible.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Most of the time against any kind of decent player I would push this but if I noticed he had never raised pf and now hes minraising I would probably just fold
Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time against any kind of decent player I would push this but if I noticed he had never raised pf and now hes minraising I would probably just fold

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 12:06 PM

i like this push b/c you are still very likely to get itm if you lose.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:09 PM

I would typically like villain to have a little less or myself to have a little more to do this, but I think this is very standard against a "thinking villain"...which begs the question, if villain is thinking, why would he minraise here? Therefore, he might not be thinking and you may get a call...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:18 PM

I push because when I get called and suckout, I get to hear some very colorful descriptions of my poker skills.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like this push b/c you are still very likely to get itm if you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would typically like villain to have a little less or myself to have a little more to do this, but I think this is very standard against a "thinking villain"...which begs the question, if villain is thinking, why would he minraise here? Therefore, he might not be thinking and you may get a call...

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, I think that's what it boils down to. I push pretty hard all the time in situations like this when I can tell people are stack conscious (as most sane people are); however, if the villian is acting erratic, I'm not crazy about the prospect of fighting for my life to stay ITM (if the shorty doubles up on his blind-out) when I'm a lock and in well stacked for ITM. If the stack gap was a tiny bit wider (where I felt I still had a near lock on 3rd), I'd be a bit more comfortable.

I would push anyway, though--I like to 'gamble' for excitement's sake when it's probably correct either way. I bet the equity, in a cosmic sense, all balances out for either move--with folding being lower variance.

It's an interesting hand, though (given the reads). Hope for more replies.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM

Alright, here's another question. How confident do you have to be that they will fold a big ace or a medium PP to push here?