Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Who is your hero?

lots of people had enormous balls and risked them in business, but it didn't get as much street cred because it didn't involve nude women.

when i've seen interviews, biographies, etc i get a dead impression that he hasn't changed his mind or thought much about anything for 20 years. he's got enough wealth to create a bubble that he can live in where "the world doesn't change." it's not just "old dude with old dude tastes" kind of things, his house really seems like a time warp and modern celebrities come to visit to provide details on what modern celebrity life is like. more importantly maybe, it lets him effortlessly maintain his image.

i agree that he deserves his wealth.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 PM

Gahan Wilson was godly.

Great, lengthy interviews that pretty much set the standard, and world-class short fiction by the best authors living. Lots of excellent articles too.

And thanks for all the boobs.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM

Street cred? That's always been a ridiculous notion best left to the ghetto and the white boys who want to pretend they understand anything about it.

"Street cred for showing boobs" is not a concept that would apply to the 50's.

As to change, what is this change you speak of? He's an old man. Let him bang his triplets already. And enjoy his house. Whatever you think he should be thinking now, although I'm generally not all that fond of that sort of a concept, just go ahead and think it for yourself. That's your job. You're a young guy and nobody's stopping you. Not by way of criticism or meant personally in even the slightest way, but just as a plain fact, Good luck coming up with 1/100th of the guts he had.

Other people didn't risk as complete social ostracism, or legal punishment, as he did to gain their wealth, so there's no comparison there at all.

Society wouldn't be anywhere near as open if he hadn't come along and risked everything.

We're lucky to be able to take a lot of things for granted now.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM

One of my favorite quotes is from Hef:

"I'm sure from the outside it looks like my life is really good but, I can assure you, it's really much better than that."
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the street cred to which i'm referring is what he obviously has now. people worship tony montana and hugh hefner.

have you seen 'the aristocrats'? the best part of the whole movie is watching him try to figure out whether he was supposed to laugh at gilbert gottfried or not.

in his interviews he comes off as the biggest "they don't make them like they used to" and "it isn't like it used to be" guy ever.

i have no problem with him enjoying triplets, living in his house, or whatever. he earned that stuff. it has nothing to do with his business - past, present, or future. as a person, as a human being, independent of playboy he comes off as a stuck-in-the-mud prick. as he's entitled to live his life however he wants, i'm entitled to say that in no way do i look up to him as a person and i hope i never end up that way.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 PM

Well, he was never an actor. And I think whatever street cred he has has probably fallen rather than risen for quite some time now. What was gutsy back then is by now established and uncommented on.

As to the glory days talk he might indulge in, that fits at least 90% of old people.

How you get from any of that or anything you said to world class prick is something you haven't really explained.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM

spaceman bryce
istewart
Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my favorite quotes is from Hef:

"I'm sure from the outside it looks like my life is really good but, I can assure you, it's really much better than that."

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, I love it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the street cred to which i'm referring is what he obviously has now. people worship tony montana and hugh hefner.

have you seen 'the aristocrats'? the best part of the whole movie is watching him try to figure out whether he was supposed to laugh at gilbert gottfried or not.

in his interviews he comes off as the biggest "they don't make them like they used to" and "it isn't like it used to be" guy ever.

i have no problem with him enjoying triplets, living in his house, or whatever. he earned that stuff. it has nothing to do with his business - past, present, or future. as a person, as a human being, independent of playboy he comes off as a stuck-in-the-mud prick. as he's entitled to live his life however he wants, i'm entitled to say that in no way do i look up to him as a person and i hope i never end up that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

what would you expect from a guy who wears knockoff italian smoking jackets? and then to steal one and act like the other person is the one wearing a knockoff? that is not classy on many levels.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:48 PM

tony montana wasn't an actor either.

watch cribs, listen to hip-hoppers (a gigantic part of modern culture) discuss their idols, etc. look at who shows up at the parties in every issue of playboy. i think hefner is as big as ever.

sure people get in ruts as they get older. what irritates me about his phrasing is that it's not a "hey i'm happy with this thing over here" kind of thing. he responds to new ideas in an, "i don't care for that" sort of way. it drives me berserk when people respond to things as if they've evaluated them when they clearly haven't, much more than somebody saying "i'm just not going to try that."

so it's that, it's also the general prick vibe i get from him in biographies/interviews. i've seen enough of him to know that i don't like him as a person. it's perfectly fine for me to have this opinion.

his business work speaks for itself.