Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Unusual Hand vs. Allen Cunningham

Obviously Allen knows that he looks suspicious if he opens the pot. He has a pretty big stack though and can play with you a little bit to see what happens. I'd expect him to open limp a pretty good range of hands here, and open raise typical raising hands and stuff like A6o that don't dance as well on flops.

So if he open raises to 20k, I like sirio's push range. If for example Allen opened with A8o and you pushed, I think he'd be calling. I also think that A8 is about his margin (he'd fold K5o and weaker stuff that he'd open with). So any ace, broadway, etc seems about right. I'd throw in 45s-87s type stuff too.

Smooth call QQ+ definitely but... what will Allen make of a smooth call? He'll probably put you on a solid hand since you just put 1/5 of your stack in play. I might mix in some calls with stuff like J9 and checkraise all in on a flop that I liked. If you had a few more chips I might like calling with drawing hands like 75s so I could checkraise all in on a draw and have enough FE to make it profitable, but here if he leads its probably for 30k and an 80k push may not quite do the trick.

If he open limps then it gets trickier. I'd probably raise with a comparable range to sirio but I'd consider checking in a big pair and leading out the flop and hoping for a raise. I think Allen will put you to the test lots of times when you open like that. With most hands Id just check it in and check the flop and go from there, as the pot's still small and you don't have to get involved yet.

Mostly rambling, but I think you can have some fun with this.

Everett
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM

You basically have to play this like you were headsup (because you are, LOL). Decide how you'd play against him if you were the last two left at the final table.

In this particular situation, I'd basically call a small raise (3xBB or less) without even looking at my cards, watching him the whole time. Then I'd check the flop blind and see what he does. I think you make it a LITTLE more difficult on him not giving him any reads. If he just calls, I'd raise him, no matter what two cards I was holding. If he makes a big enough raise (over the standard 3x, or whatever has been the standard raise at the table), I'm either folding or pushing, since I'm out of position and outchipped by a lot. So, it's AA-QQ and AKs I'm pushing with. I'm folding everything else and saying "I'm hungry, so I'll let you have it this time (with a big smile on my face)."
Old 11-17-2005, 05:29 PM

I'm thinking that the more you talk, the more likely he is to raise. I think sitting there just looking at him, he's more likely to look down at pure trash, and fold it. I really think, though, that most of the time whatever you decide to do he's going to call or raise, and that you ought to be using a wider range than sirio's in almost all cases, but I'm not sure how wide.

-Jason
Old 11-17-2005, 05:31 PM

I also don't like smooth call very much if he's seen you play for more than 10 minutes, Al.

-Jason
Old 11-17-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't like smooth call very much if he's seen you play for more than 10 minutes, Al.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Cunningham is so good post flop, or because of something about AJs style? I don't get it.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 AM

why would you just smooth call against such a skilled and experienced opponent? What are you going to trap him? what about when an ace comes. He is a wealthy professional tournament player who is also very good at cash games, and has been on the biggest stage a lot over the years, and more importantly, a lot recently. This hand is not nearly as intimidating to him as it is to us (i'm not down-talking anyone, i'm just assuming that he has more experience by a longshot) and there is no reason to let him outplay us. If he opens to 20k and you look down at QQ not going all in is a terrible play almost always
Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 AM

No, because if cunningham raises and Al pushes he'll be getting a decent price on his money and is also likely to call with a decent range of hands because Al tends to be very active at the table.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
any broadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify - do you mean any two broadway or any broadway (including hands like J2 etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]
he means any "20"
Old 11-20-2005, 03:35 PM

you should've deadpan said, "if you put any money into that pot, I'm moving in in the dark", and then seen what he did...(or maybe that's kind of what you meant with your comment).....if he then moves in, I think you gotta give him credit for a hand - or at least credit for out-coffeehousing you....