Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: enternal hell bothers me

[ QUOTE ]
"Heaven is being with God. Hell is not being with God."

[/ QUOTE ]

That sums it up quite well actually.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Both of you who were bashing other religions are extremely ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[ QUOTE ]

Neither religion is one thing or another, it is the sum of those individuals who believe in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I judge a religion on it's founder, its God(s), and it's text.

[ QUOTE ]

Some Christians do HORRIBLE things, including killing Jews.

[/ QUOTE ]

God not Jews, anybody but Jews. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Stop being so short sighted and thinking your religion is the best. It isnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Polytheism strikes again! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Joking,
SDM
Old 09-24-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'the church of heaven is inside you and all around you'

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this from the movie Stigmata and isn't merely a "saying". This quote came from a secret gospel of christ that was supposedley in Christ's own language but "the Catholic Religion Rejects". Please inform me, because it interests me greatly. Where did you hear this alleged "Saying"?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'the church of heaven is inside you and all around you'

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this from the movie Stigmata and isn't merely a "saying". This quote came from a secret gospel of christ that was supposedley in Christ's own language but "the Catholic Religion Rejects". Please inform me, because it interests me greatly. Where did you hear this alleged "Saying"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's from the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:42 AM

That's a good question. RJT is obviosly paraphrasing, but this is basically what it says in the Bible. So I don't think it's that rare of a view.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:57 AM

We have come to have such an innocent victim mentality. I realize that I'm going to throw gas on some fires here but, it's true. There used to be a time when most people had a fear (not physical but respestful fear) and reverence for God and His judgement. Now everyone has become so "let's just do what feels right", and who cares about the rest.

What alot of people forget is God doesn't want to send anyone to hell. He wants them all to find a relationship with Christ, repent and spend eternity with Him.

We will be judged-unfortunate for some but true nonetheless. The good news is we can all be saved by God's grace, and mercy.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:02 PM

This is the most Christian post that I've seen and of course submitted by a Hindu(Hare Krishna).

The Christ Impulse goes across all differences in mankind and rightly judged it will not be difficult for a Buddhist, Hindu or Jew to see the Being of Christ in the world. This does not mean that these different religious members should immediately join the Presbyterian Church.

The moral tone poem of a man's life is his work and is more difficult in our time than the path of the intellect. We have developed the intellect to an extreme degree(witness the destructive impulses) but morality is slower to manifest. This work is a baby compared to the intellect.

By adding warmth to our thinking this work is accomplished. A "thinking heart" is a reality and necessary for man's furthur progress. The different concepts discussed must be seen in an experiental form--"hell"--what is it's nature and how does this perception relate to man's work? Does the "hell" of present time offer anything or is it merely an epithet used by some(earthly egocentrists) to condemn others, which is a political act.

I personally do not have the answer to "hell" but I believe in eastern thought there is made mention of Kamaloca(Buddhist perhaps but I am sure there is a corresponding Hindu sphere) which can bring one closer to self evident truths.

carlo
Old 09-24-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Christianity is a religion based on fear, as is Islamism a religion based on hatred.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Islam is a religion based on a Semitic inferiority complex. (IMHO)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know very much about Islam, but I know enough to say that both of those are pretty stupid and ignorant statements...the latter being slightly less stupid
Old 09-24-2005, 06:36 PM

In my opinion, the concept of heaven and hell in religion is nothing more than a manipulative device, which is used to scare people into believing in something.

It's comparable to any other deterrent in our society which is used to modify behavior...

HELL = PAIN

HEAVEN = PLEASURE

It was the same deterrent that was used a couple thousand years ago by the Greeks. If they didn't act accordingly to the majority's views, then the GODS would become upset, and of course cause harm. If they acted accordingly, then the GODS would reward them (create pleasure). But of course their view of multiple GODS is "crazy" (at least we like to think so right...).

What am I saying? I must have been placed here on this planet to satisfy some entity. I'm in a test or something, aren't I? That is why I exist, to please some other entity that I do not understand. I better please that entity by worshiping them, because that is what is wanted.

Seriously though, I don't believe that there is anyway that a GOD placed me on this planet to pass a test so that I could please them; adding a heaven and hell at the finish line (or whatever form of bliss your religion promises)?

These are all man made ideals and principles that were constructed in ways to create order and meaning in life. If there is some higher being out there, I highly doubt it that they would be striving to gain pleasure from my suffering as well as my happiness. If they are, then I would not consider that higher form and more admirable or honorable than any other person in life trying to take advantage of me through some form of manipulation.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Christianity is a religion based on fear, as is Islamism a religion based on hatred.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Islam is a religion based on a Semitic inferiority complex. (IMHO)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know very much about Islam, but I know enough to say that both of those are pretty stupid and ignorant statements...

[/ QUOTE ]

Political correctness has alot to answer for. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

the latter being slightly less stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: "Although I disagree with you SDM, your statement does seem likely given such things as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and other examples of the Arab world hating Jews"

?