Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 06:07 AM

Default let\'s skitter around the block

stars 5/10

juice it up opens for $40 in MP, folded to me in the BB with black JJ and i call.

flop QsTs2c, i check and call $70.
turn QsTs2c-9s, i check, he bets $250, i raise to $900 all-in.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: let\'s skitter around the block

[ QUOTE ]
stars 5/10

juice it up opens for $40 in MP, folded to me in the BB with black JJ and i call.

flop QsTs2c, i check and call $70.
turn QsTs2c-9s, i check, he bets $250, i raise to $900 all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he bet the turn after you checked, I put him on a very strong hand, or a bluff. More than likely, a very strong hand. That is the problem with the check raise. Although the straight flush draw is enticing, I believe I would recommend a fold after the turn bet.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When he bet the turn after you checked, I put him on a very strong hand, or a bluff. More than likely, a very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

WorldBeater, where the heck do you get really strong or really weak from a 250 bet into a 230 pot in position when check called twice and checked to on the turn when a scare card hit???

Without knowledge of his pf raising standards I have the button on anything from AA-TT+22, KJ, AQ, AT, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x, [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], KQ, QJ, complete bluff.

I think that without a read or a propensity to gamble the villain will probably call the all in with any flush, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K-J, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Ax, K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Kx, K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Qx, KJ, QQ, TT.

I tend to save bluffs like this for live play rather than online. I just feel that live KJ will often fold here where online I have trouble getting AQo to lay down his hand.

I do like the check raise on the turn though. Betting out is a big problem if you get called or raised (as might happen from someone holding just A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) It is either check fold here or check raise and I think both are fine plays
Old 02-09-2005, 07:45 AM

Were you planning to take it away from him with any spade? I like it. Either he'll pay off your flushes or he'll fold now.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:27 AM

I like it a lot. How does Juice it up play on stars?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:28 AM

aggressive
Old 02-09-2005, 02:08 PM

i like it just fine.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:18 PM

I like that move especially in the bigger limit games for a couple of reasons.
1.) If he did flop a set on you he may fold thinking you have the flush or strate. Check-raising him all in cuts down on his odds to draw for his house.
2.) A good player will fold a hand like KK or AA unless he has a spaid to go with it. I he calls you are not drawing dead because you have 2 Jacks left and some strate outs as well.
3.) Finally, I like to just sling it all in there sometimes. Come get you some! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 06:03 PM

"WorldBeater, where the heck do you get really strong or really weak from a 250 bet into a 230 pot in position when check called twice and checked to on the turn when a scare card hit???"

If villain had a hand such as AA with a spade or KK with a spade, his best play would be to check so he could keep the pot size down and see the river cheaply. Even if he had a set he might want to check the turn to see if he could fill up for free. The same goes for a hand such as AA with no spade. He would have enough to show down, but not enough to want to play a big pot, so why would the villain want to push? When he does push, I put him on a big hand because most of the borderline hands he does better with by checking and using his position / free card on the river to make a decision. I am just putting myself in the villain's shoes and thinking bout how I would play the hand.
If I had nothing and wanted to take a shot at the pot due to the scare card on fourth street, I might bet. But more than likely I would just check it down with a good but not great hand, or a really bad hand I would give up on after the flop bet.

"Without knowledge of his pf raising standards I have the button on anything from AA-TT+22, KJ, AQ, AT, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x, [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], KQ, QJ, complete bluff."

OK but Villain opened from MP, not the button.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM

well played