Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 01:46 AM

Default i did not build the time machine for financial gain!

25-50 6-handed, folded to me in the SB i have Q8o, i complete, Mahatma checks in the BB, he has $5000 i have him covered.

flop QT7r, i bet $100, he raises to $400, i call.

turn QxTx7d-9d, i have no diamonds, i check, he bets $900, i raise to $3600 obviously planning to call if he moves his last $950 in.

misplayed on every street?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: i did not build the time machine for financial gain!

Definately complete the SB with Q8o, I like that.

You flopped top pair (bad kicker), but he shows strength on the flop. Right here he might think that you're trying to steal, and hammer it back, or he might have a genuinely good hand. On the turn though you check (I assume you're trying to induce a bluff here as your c/r is massive).

What hands will he call such a massive overbet here that you beat? He knows you're pot committed with the $3,600 bet, so he's not going to push as a bluff, if he pushes it's a value bet almost.

What hands have you seen him raise PF with? I would say that if he moves his last $950 in he's holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or any combination of T7 or T9. I would speculate that if he shared top pair with you and didn't two pair, then that means he has Q-paint, and he'd probably put in a PFR.

Other than that, the flop bet looks kind of like a feeler bet from you, and I like that line. You can find out real quick here what he's holding. I don't really like the turn check, but its good because you were planning on c/r. However, with such a large c/r you're pretty much screwed if he pushes because I don't think he'll ever do it with a hand you're beating.

On the plus side if he has two pair you picked up an OESD on the turn, so you've got outs. I like that.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:13 AM

i think these SH 25-50 game posts are so hard to reply with constructive analysis just because its so based on how the game is playing at the time and how often hes been raising with position, and if you have c/r like this and what hands have been shown?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:28 AM

what's your read of him at the time? what's his read of you at the time?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:58 AM

"misplayed on every street?"

Yeah. I like a bet on the flop and fold after he raised you on the flop. The turn play is bad as well. He was probably either bluffing or had a hand he was going to go with, with the latter being much more likely.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:00 AM

very interesting hand.

need more information like gameflow, reads, etc.

As it is I don't see how Mahatma's hand is defined at ALL yet.

If you decided that you were committed to the hand on the turn, why don't you just call the turn with the intention of check-raising (or check-calling) all in on the river?

If you decide that you have the best hand on the turn, I think this is the superior line although it creates certain interesting dynamics:

a) will you get paid off if a 6 comes?
b) if a J comes will you get paid off/will his king beat you
c1) is he semibluffing with a diamond draw?
c2) if you check the nondiamond river how often will he bet?
d) maybe your judgement is wrong and you don't have the best hand and you really should fold the turn.

Anyway I think its not very likely for me to give you a good answer without knowing the flow, recent history, etc. so these are all factors I would consider in making the choice between which line to take.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a bet on the flop and fold after he raised you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line is awful imo, he will raise with a hand you beat (including nothing) here a high percentage of the time.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 AM

Default \"flow\"

the flow is Mahatma is losing and whining a lot about it
Old 05-02-2005, 11:20 AM

great post title!

since you open completed in the SB, mahatma knows you'll probably bet the flop no matter what a large % of the time. given this he can raise with a wide range of hands in that spot, agree/disagree? I think given that you open completed you have to bet the flop and call a raise.

on the turn, is seems weird to put a lot of money in. you have a good draw HU and might have the best pair. you have good suckout equity if losing and a lot of his bluffing cards make your hand.

--turnipmonster