Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Cologne - Recs & When To Wear

I have a $200 gift certificate to Bloomingdale's - don't really need more clothes - thinking... cologne.

Two-part question:

1) Any colognes that you would highly recommend I check out? Personally, I don't prefer the "musky" type ones, but since I have such limited experience with cologne am very open-minded. Only cologne I've ever worn is L'eau D'Issey, that my ex-girlfriend bought for me and would force me to wear.

2) When is it appropriate to wear cologne? At my last job, which was a fairly formal work environment, co-workers would on occassion wear cologne. I found that odd. I've only put on cologne for semi-formal / formal events. Normal "night-on-the-town" never done it.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Cologne - Recs & When To Wear

1) I'm like you in that I don't really dig the musky stuff. I prefer the "fresh" or "sporty" scents. Right now I mostly use DKNY for men. Just go to Bloomingdales and sample a few. If you have a woman now bring her along and get her opinion as well.

2) I wear a little cologne/aftershave just about every day, for work or when going out. It seems to bring a fair amount of complements from women, so I guess that's good. Of course I don't know how many people are harboring ill feelings because of my stench, but as long as they don't tell me about it I'll assume all is well.

Swede
Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 PM

In rank order of how women seem to like them (and since ive owned them i liked them as well)
1. Touch-burberry
2. Le mal- Jean paul gaultier
3. Eau de cartier/must de cartier
4. Farenheit- Christian Dior
5. Armani Mania

Most probably fall into the "musky" category you speak of, but they are all much lighter than Drakkar noir or Chrome or some other such grandpa cologne. If you do an internet search this Dolce and Gabbana cologne always comes up number 1 on top ten lists. My roomate got some a while back for this very reason but myself and his GF both thought it was terrible.

You can wear cologne everyday, just dont be mr to much cologne wearer. A single squirt of most of these will do the trick
Old 10-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Yes - will definitely bring a woman along to help me decide (this is such a no-brainer thanks for bringing it up Swede).

Huh - do alot of guys wear aftershave / cologne every day? I'm hopelessly ignorant on this topic...

Also - aftershave recs are very welcome too... thanks!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 PM

colognes are very body dependent.

The best smelling cologne for me is the OG Curve.

It just works. Ladies love it.

I wear it most everyday, because I work around a bunch of cubicle dwelling ass blasting monkeys. My cologne is sometimes my only defense. (when the crop duster fails)
Old 10-21-2005, 02:12 PM

Lots of people who work in offices wear cologne every day.

Colognes have a lot of snob and fashion value attached to them, so you'll get plenty of feedback from both men and women that points either to what is most in style at the minute or what costs most, and those two tend to converge.

I'd just go to the cologne department and start sniffing. Other people's recommendations aren't worth too much in this department; you have to find something you personally like. As long as you stay away from stuff that's too overpowering, or don't dunk yourself in it like lots of guys do, you should be fine.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:20 PM

aqua de gio by armani is my favorite, hugo boss is a close 2nd.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 PM

I've been wearing Cool Water by Davidoff lately. Smells good.
Also Aqcua Di Gio is good. Both not musky.

If you wear a suit and tie to work, nothing wrong w/ wearing cologne, again as previously mentioned don't overdo it. One or two sprays are enough.
If you dress casually (i.e jeans and t-shirt) wearing cologne is a little tacky, again the scent is something dressy and formal it clashes if you're dressed in a t-shirt and jeans.
After hours going out on the town is the ideal time to wear cologne. You may want to respray if your going out after work.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM

whenever i see the DKNY logo all i can think about is DONKEY
Old 10-21-2005, 02:26 PM

DKNY Be Delicious. I get rave reviews.