Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Should I change usernames?

A random musing,

By posting on this board with the same name I use at partypoker, I've made it much more likely that players will recognize me right when I sit down.

Let's assume the following, for sake of argument. I believe these to be true of my own game, but there's no need to bash me if you don't. Pretend you have the following hypothetical player:

- tight, aggressive, winning player type
- has some minor holes in his game of which he is unaware, but the very best players know and potentially exploit
- deep player pool of opponents. player rarely faces off with the very best.

Is it better or worse for this player that a couple of the more knowledgable players in the game know him and offer his bets / raises a little more respect than those of the typical party maniac? Does it make much difference?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-03-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Should I change usernames?

It can't hurt.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:17 PM

The consensus among people I know is that it really doesn't make very much difference.
-James
Old 12-04-2004, 06:08 AM

I think that during a hand, it's worse. But for table selection purposes it's better because other strong players may choose not to sit at the table with you. Overall I don't know where this works out.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:13 AM

It didn't really matter before and now with the era of data mining I'm pretty sure it TOTALLY doesn't matter. I guess for the first few days it might help you win an extra .025BB/hr but beyond that I don't really see the point.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:51 AM

Of course some people change their names, but let the other 2+2'er at the table know it's them [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2004, 02:22 PM

Whenever I am playing online and I see a player whose name matches one that I regularly see on 2+2, even if I can't remember specific posts about problems or hand situations they have been in I tend to give a little more respect to their play. There are a lot of REALLY smart people who post on here and I would rather get mixed up in hands with fish than with someone who is better than I am.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:55 PM

Haha, you are one of the only people who knows Barry so shh!
-James
Old 12-04-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I am playing online and I see a player whose name matches one that I regularly see on 2+2, even if I can't remember specific posts about problems or hand situations they have been in I tend to give a little more respect to their play. There are a lot of REALLY smart people who post on here and I would rather get mixed up in hands with fish than with someone who is better than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]
This can backfire, as well. Someone asked me the other day what I was doing playing 3/6 with a VPIP of 40% and PFR of 17% on Party, and I was dumbfounded. Eventually he figured out that Entity on PartyPoker != Entity on 2+2. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 12-04-2004, 05:34 PM

You didn't see me name your alternate ego, did you? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]