Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: $55 bubble hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure you should be playing the $50s if you are seriously considering calling here. Then again what do I know, I don't play the $50s myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youd be VERY supprised at some of the horrible play.

FWIW, I obviously folded (not that it matters).

I did however want to know if you feel an opponent is pushing any2, would a call be correct given stack/blind size.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure you should be playing the $50s if you are seriously considering calling here. Then again what do I know, I don't play the $50s myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youd be VERY supprised at some of the horrible play.

FWIW, I obviously folded (not that it matters).

I did however want to know if you feel an opponent is pushing any2, would a call be correct given stack/blind size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, sorry if that came off the wrong way.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite correct to call against any two so if that is in fact his read and it is correct with a reasonable degree of accurcay then a call can become correct. I think an opponent like this may not even exist at the 55's however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, right, this whole hand is essentially a question about UTG's likely range. I think we agree that virtually no one is pushing anything close to any 2 UTG here.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 AM

why are you saying you obviously folded when you posted the hand in the first place?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The NE here is ~ 22/7/4/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

volunarily put $ in pot
not sure what the 7 is
and 4 = pfr

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... no.

It means "UTG should push top 22% of hands", "Cutoff should call a push with top 7% of hands", etc.

The "Nash Equilibrium" part implies that if three of the four players follow the strategy outlined, the fourth player cannot do any better than to also follow the strategy.

So, if everybody knows that everybody else is playing the NE, there is no gain to deviating from it.

It's highly theoretical, obviously, but absent any reads it is in some sense the "best" mathematical answer.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite correct to call against any two so if that is in fact his read and it is correct with a reasonable degree of accurcay then a call can become correct. I think an opponent like this may not even exist at the 55's however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, right, this whole hand is essentially a question about UTG's likely range. I think we agree that virtually no one is pushing anything close to any 2 UTG here.

[/ QUOTE ]

christ, i don't think so.

something tells me that unless villain's range looks like [2-7]x[2-7] (all combos of cards taken from 2-7) you shouldn't be calling here.

a few other snide comments:

1) you're right, he shouldn't be playing the 50s, he should be playing higher so i can get a piece! LOLLERCAUST!!!ELEVEN!

2) he posted the hand because he wanted to know if his fold was a good fold, duh?

3) this is a really easy fold.

4) nash equilibria are, in general, not a great thing to use in poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:51 PM

4) nash equilibria are, in general, not a great thing to use in poker.

This made my day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Am I the only person that does not think this is so clear cut? I mean why is he pushing? He wants people out of the hand. He could raise, and would probably raise TT+. So, in my opinion, he could be pushing with Ax or 22-99. This is not all game throry here. It is also poker. If he is pushing with Ax, you are at worst a 54% favorite. But maybe he is pushing A6, A5, ...

He could hold 88,99 which is the worst scenario.

But if we think of EV on the hand, and then the resulting tournament, it might merit a call because doubling up with move you into great standing for 1st place. By folding here, you still might come 4th. But, by calling, you are either 4th or in great position for 1st. If this hand was 88, I would call for sure! 77 is tough though. It is really borderline for me. Basically, it comes down to your reads. What is the probability he is doing this with 88,99? What is the probability it is A8-AK or KQ? What is the probability it is A2-A6?

Maybe it is bad strategy, but I play for 1st before I play for 3rd and it has increased my ROI compared to how I used to play.

I am not saying by any means that I would definately make this call. But I am not laying it down as easily as everyone else here.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM

It's a terrible strategy. Players like you calling here is a big part of why people profit so much on the bubble as short stacks.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:20 PM

no, you aren't the only one who thinks it's clear cut. but the people who don't think so are very, very wrong.

no amount of "i play for first" could possibly make this correct.