Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 07:17 AM

Default learning probability and ev

Hello all,
I just started playing poker aroung 3 months ago, and only seriously( if you consider seriously 3-5 sng's a day)
for the last week. I've played 36 mostly $5 10 player sng's in the last week, and my account went from $25 initial deposit) to $153. I'm hoping this isn't luck, and that I have some talent. Time will tell.

So my question is: I'm thinking that the most important thing for me to learn is probability, and ev. I'm thinking that software like wilson's or poki will teach me that.
I only play tournaments right now, but would eventually like to play ring games too.

Which software, or should I just use a chart of some kind, and use the money for more poker?

Also, if you recommend wilson, they have tournament and ring game software. Which one?

Thank you for your poker knowledge. Steve.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: learning probability and ev

Save your money. The software doesn't help very much. In particular, the Wilson's Tournament Software blows. DD Tournament Poker is probably just as good (that is not saying much), and can be picked up at Sam's Club for $15. I have not used Poki, but I do own Wilson's Limit Hold'em software. It is okay, but teaches some bad habits.

Sounds to me like you need to buy The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. As a SNG player, you should read the SnG FAQ v.0002 and Beating the Party 10+1.

<font color="green">New York Jet</font>
Old 12-09-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: learning probability and ev

Try "The bell curve" You can get it at any library.