Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Poker Ace or PlayerView?

Can anyone tell me if they get better performance with a large database from Poker Ace than PlayerView please?
PV has started to run very slow for me lately...
Old 09-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Poker Ace or PlayerView?

There isn't a significant difference in database performance between the two, they are both passing virutally the same sql calls via odbc, these are pretty much standard PT queries so both are relatively well indexed. However if you are using very large db's you would be well advised to convert to postgres from Acess and preferably get them onto another machine/server as Pokertracker itself is quite cpu intensive. Disk I/O is very important for any PT database with a lot of hands with either Access or postgres, so get as fast of a drive as you can afford and defrag it frequently and also compress/compact frequently as well as index performance will be substanially better if your disk & db are not fragmented. And finally, if you can't afford to throw hardware at the problem, try to keep the database size to 100k or below.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:19 PM

Poker Ace -> free
PV -> 50$ last time I checked

PA wins because I can buy 8 chicken souvlaki dinners with 50$
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Thanks for that Cats! I'd forgotten about defragging.
Also considering faster hdd's... (datamining on 3 pc's).
Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 PM

If you're that hardcore, you should have 1 pc largely dedicated to being your Postgres server. Ideally at least a dual core machine if not dual processor, a healthy ammount of ram, make sure services have priority over applications and yes a RAID array would help but if not that, a Windows Raid 0 stripe set or a 10k HD are quick and dirty alternatives. If possible gigabit ethernet connection to it from the PC you play on will help as well though most of the performance will be dictated by your db server's performance.