Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

Yeah, LOL. I'm a 2 in APA 9-ball. A... Two...

I'm an excellent safety player and kicker (thanks, one-pocket), but never have had a defensive shot marked down. I quit after four 8-ball seasons and 1 9-ball. And my league wasn't that bad when it came to sandbagging - I couldn't imagine how bad it can get.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the tape in today. it's been a few years. the most astounding to me were the whipping stroke shots where he can hit with full power with the balls a quarter inch or less apart (without double hitting NB).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the english and draw he gets is amazing. the balls going off one cushion, then another, thennnnnnnnnnnnnn back this way....i'd pay to see that in person anyday...

random aside: i did a trick shot with mike massey once...nicest guy and the shot involved us both shooting and making 6 balls, on one barbox table, all pockets used...we got it first try [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Yeah, like straight pool and billiards. Don't get to play billiards around here. I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it. I am trying to just be able to pick through one rack better and can do that more often than in the past. 30 measly balls is my high run on a gold crown. Next Derby City they are having an all offense straight pool competition. Break ball in hand, cue ball in hand, 3 chances for 50 in the prelims. 42 will get you like 1 chance in the final. 160 will get 3 or 4. Only your high run gets you chances. High run gets a prize. Will be interesting to see what the modern guys can do. Hohmann has run 400, so has schmidt. Somebody may uncork a ridiculous run even on the diamond tables. I hope accu-stats gets something good on video.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, LOL. I'm a 2 in APA 9-ball. A... Two...

I'm an excellent safety player and kicker (thanks, one-pocket), but never have had a defensive shot marked down. I quit after four 8-ball seasons and 1 9-ball. And my league wasn't that bad when it came to sandbagging - I couldn't imagine how bad it can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, a 2?? how many do you normally run after a break? 9 balls not my game and i just recently started getting close to having break and run outs achievable....
Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM

I'm a 4-6 ball runner, on average. If my break is on, and they're spread nicely, I'm better than even money to get out. My problem is long cuts requireing fancy position. I'm not a big fan of 9-ball, but ring games are the nuts, and it's a good warm up.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a 4-6 ball runner, on average. If my break is on, and they're spread nicely, I'm better than even money to get out. My problem is long cuts requireing fancy position. I'm not a big fan of 9-ball, but ring games are the nuts, and it's a good warm up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'd guess i'm around the same....that's ridiculous to have that skill as a 2, hahahaha....

btw, i don't know if i've asked this before, but i don't suppose there's a digital copy of winning one pocket floating around? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I don't really want to drop $200 on it, but might eventually if that's my only option....
Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM

this worked for me

but I also had a coach at one time.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this worked for me

but I also had a coach at one time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've got it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've also got robin's second book, Shots, Moves, and Strategies...I'd just really like to get my hands on the first volume and check it out...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM

that sounds like fun. I used to play straight with an older guy in berkeley. he won the Illinois state college championship in the late 50s or early 60s. that got him an exhibition game against mosconi. he broke. mosconi ran 50 or 100, whatever it was, and out. then went into a trick shot exhibition. never said a word to him. my friend had nerve problems when I knew him so he usually couldn't run many. but he taught me some great tricks, like caroming the object ball off a full rack into the corner. but everyone else in the room played 9 or one-pocket (one pocket esp some old persian gamblers). I liked one-pocket okay, but I like to make shots, lots of them. gets frustrating.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm not much of a one pocket player but do have the upscale 1P book. Not bad. You guys need to get the new "Banking with the Beard" book by freddie bentivegna if you don't have it. Pretty good IMO. I have not worked my way through it and may have caught an error or two in the book, but my banking improved immediately after working on a couple of the things in there. He has some bank pool specfic stuff and some one pocket stuff. One diagram of a Bugs Rucker 1 pocket run out was sick.