Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
Pool is a brotherhood, kinda like poker. No one cares what you wear, or what color you are when you play, or even what stick you shoot with (unless you're an insufferable nit), as long as the money in your pocket is green.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true...i wish i could play with better skilled players more often, but the league i play in now is mostly for fun...and i'm tired of the seriousness of APA...although we ARE going to vegas in a few weeks for nationals on their tab [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats: semih sayginer's artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).
Old 08-04-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats: semi sayginers artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

[/ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Billiards is an incredible game.
Finding someone willing to play against you is difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago. Lots of old timers willing to teach you the ropes for table time. Some of the best 3 cushion talent in the world used to come through there. I miss Chicago...

High run 3 cushion - 7
High run straight - 52
Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's makes for a great drinking game.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? it's such a difficult game, and slow...

[/ QUOTE ]
Volume
Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very true...i wish i could play with better skilled players more often, but the league i play in now is mostly for fun...and i'm tired of the cheating & sandbagging of APA...although we ARE going to vegas in a few weeks for nationals on their tab [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never do this, but.... FYP [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 PM

You know Pat Johnson of r.s.b. fame?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 PM

I like billiards, but my wife has so much natural talent at it, I basically give up. A 3-point run is not uncommon for her.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
very true...i wish i could play with better skilled players more often, but the league i play in now is mostly for fun...and i'm tired of the cheating & sandbagging of APA...although we ARE going to vegas in a few weeks for nationals on their tab [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never do this, but.... FYP [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

very well done....fwiw, my team hasn't sandbagged at all....so, we're going to get destroyed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] more time for po--um....other things.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the tape in today. it's been a few years. the most astounding to me were the whipping stroke shots where he can hit with full power with the balls a quarter inch or less apart (without double hitting NB).