Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: an unpleasant confrontation.

sure, i have no balls because i dont tell a guest at my dads birthday party to [censored] off.

yup, that would have been a champion thing to do.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM

The answer is;

I do research, in both physical and virtual spheres, to determine the degree of attachment people have to their money. My studies intend to define the limits of confidence people exhibit when confronted with risk, and correlate these observations with known behavioral patterns. My studies are currently being voluntarily funded by the subjects of my research.

SheetWise
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I say the over under on her credit card debt is 6,000 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and she probably tried to put that invoice for glow in the dark fluffy handcuffs through as a tax write off. Tell her to keep her opinion to herself........the next morning over breakfast. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Regards Mack
Old 07-11-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The counsellor may percieve her job to be of importance, yet one would ask how important her job would be and the need for it in a perfect world. If she deals with alcoholics and gamblers well then Capitalism has alot to answer for there, and it opens up a number of debates ranging from the legality of alcohol, to a free market system, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

She probably doesn't see the irony of herself profiting from the same people, albeit in an entirely different way.

Mack
Old 07-11-2005, 06:37 AM

I'm essentially a realist on these ethical matters.

If someone is a compulsive gambler, that is their responsibility, not mine. Of course I have compassion for them. But I also recognize reality. If they don't invest the energy to learn how to play well then they will inevitably lose. The fact that I happen to be the one to win their money is inconsequential. If they are gambling with money they can't afford to lose, that is their problem. They wouldn't give me my money back if I lost it, would they?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 AM

If she is a counsler/therapist she sounds like a really bad one. A good counsler would never approach you combatively. A good one would try to learn "the other side of the story" or engage in a meaningful conversation expressing her opinions while not being confrontational with regards to yours.
I'd just write her off. She sounds like an idiot.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 AM

Sounds like a setup.

Was she a Scientologist? Did she appear to be in a trance and keep making moves to grab your wallet? Any chance this self-righteous bitch was on staff at a university or working in a management position for the government or post office?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:07 AM

This being your Dad's Birthday Party I'm thinking about the issue of Manners here. If she spoke to you this way at the dinner table with others listening in, she was being Quite Rude trying to embarress the birthday celebrant's son this way. Your best response would probably be something charmingly light and funny which quickly redirects the table converstation to another subject - like Sklanskianity for example.

If this was a one on one conversation and there was some sexual attraction between you, then this could very well be a form of flirting on her part. This is a common technique many girls use to "get a rise" out of their prey. If you can tollerate a woman who would use such an approach and/or the sexual attraction is strong enough, then the best response would problably be to say something charmingly light and funny, then quickly redirect the conversation toward something about her - like how good she smells or the delightful curvature of her bosom.

If it's a one on one conversation and she is just being a bore, your best response is probably to say something charmingly light and funny, then suddenly recognize somebody across the room you just have to speak to immediately.

What she said should not bother you in the least if you are comfortable with those issues within yourself. We are all subject to the prejudices of society for many different reasons. The problem is with the prejudice, not with us.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 AM

"If this was a one on one conversation and there was some sexual attraction between you..."

id guess she was around 30 years older than me - i hope this clears that up!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:52 AM

Tell her that you are very concerned about compulsive gamblers, and read somewhere that the fastest road to recovery is to make them hit rock bottom. So really, you and her are on the same side....you want to make them hit the skids as fast as possible, so that they can stop playing poker and start paying her £100 an hour.

Bingo