Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
I play with mine every chance I get, which isn't nearly as often as I'd like. I think their real beauty is in their funcionality, not as their potential to be museum pieces. If it hits sweet, play with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you and don't believe much in collectors cues. But I don't have a cue made by a dead cuemaker at least yet. I commend you for playing with yours, but might hesitate if it were mine, as much as I think cues are meant to be played with. I suppose I would play with it some, but I would hate having to ship it all around and stuff.

I am going to buy a scruggs BTW. He keeps threatening to slow down and not make as many cues. But I intend to play w/ it. I love cues. Wish I could use one effectively. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, like straight pool and billiards. Don't get to play billiards around here. I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it. I am trying to just be able to pick through one rack better and can do that more often than in the past. 30 measly balls is my high run on a gold crown. Next Derby City they are having an all offense straight pool competition. Break ball in hand, cue ball in hand, 3 chances for 50 in the prelims. 42 will get you like 1 chance in the final. 160 will get 3 or 4. Only your high run gets you chances. High run gets a prize. Will be interesting to see what the modern guys can do. Hohmann has run 400, so has schmidt. Somebody may uncork a ridiculous run even on the diamond tables. I hope accu-stats gets something good on video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with those two, I'd be really interested in seeing Earl, Efren, and Jose Garcia from Jersey in that. Although Earl and Efren don't play much 14.1, I've seen a 360 from Efren and hear that Earl's high run is in the low 400's. Jose is super-pure. He's been uncorking quite a few 300's lately.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Here's a few pics of mine.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The game of champions. I've set a goal of a run of 30 balls by September 1st. My previous (witnessed) high run was 17. I've just started playing regulary again after a 1-1/2 years off. I've had a 14 ball run in each of my last two games.

Anyone else play them some straights? Or one-pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love straight. my high run is something in the thirties I think, not forty I don't think--I hvae my good days but I'm not good because they're not frequent enough, and even then I'm not all that good. but running through two breaks, that's when you've tasted what it really means to play pool. I need to get a table. or find someplace to play in New Orleans. there seems to be a place on tchoupitoulas but I haven't looked to see if it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya there! I think my highest was 34...that's the number that's stuck in my head, anyway.. I was playing at a local hall. I remember that was a great day, feeling like I could really play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Speaking of getting a table at your house.. I got one, then stopped playing! It was the weirdest thing. Course, didn't help that I hardly ever got anyone to come out to the house to play (we lived in the boonies [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) .

Good luck with your goal. Just remember to always try to think ahead; but once you finish looking where you want the ball to go, concentrate on that first shot again. Position means nothing if you don't sink the ball! (Unless of course your trying to safe it and stick your opponent [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Glenn
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have book or website suggestions for a complete n00b starting out? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked the stuff by Robert Byrne
Robert Byrne searched on Amazon

I would have give specific titles... but I've let ppl "borrow" my books, and they're mine no longer [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

My fav book from him was actually
Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories
Old 08-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Nice pics. In the bottom one, you can see the wood-to-wood connection that makes me love these cues.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else play them some straights? Or one-pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to mention that these games go well together. Playing straights teaches one to "work the stack" by breaking out balls--an essential for run-outs in one pocket. I'll never be a straight pool player, but I can't count the times that I thought I had a straights player locked up playing one pocket, only to have him see a weird combo, break one out of the rack and run out.