Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:16 AM

Default improve your poker.

ive heard a lot of good said about this book, and i generally respect Bob as an author. however i get the feeling it is mostly a NL/PL book? is this correct?

cheers.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: improve your poker.

[ QUOTE ]
ive heard a lot of good said about this book, and i generally respect Bob as an author. however i get the feeling it is mostly a NL/PL book? is this correct?

cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, actually there are many situations in the book taken from limit hold'em. There are also examples from stud, Omaha, and the high-low split games. It's a superb book no matter what form of poker you play.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:37 AM

There are lots of ideas, and examples pertaining to limit Hold'em
in the book.

In my opinion, one of the greatest poker books ever written, a
compliment to any poker library.

"I would walk 500 miles, just to walk 500 miles more, so I could be the man that walked 1000 miles" (or however the song goes) to obtain that book.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:47 AM

i guess im going to have to buy it then. thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Remember to adjust for today's game. 10-20 was a high limit game then but it usually plays like a low limit game now.

It is not so much the limit but the table conditions at the game you are sitting at right now. 10-20 can be very tough or very loose depending upon the current situation.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember to adjust for today's game. 10-20 was a high limit game then but it usually plays like a low limit game now.

It is not so much the limit but the table conditions at the game you are sitting at right now. 10-20 can be very tough or very loose depending upon the current situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Game conditions are always a factor, no matter what the limit is. But I've found tougher and more experienced players at the 10-20 & 15-30 limits than I did when I was playing 4-8 or 3-6. Ciaffone's book has nothing but good advice for all limits (as much as I think his other book, "Middle Limit Hold'em", has).

I constantly read posts on this forum where people just assume that everyone else at the table is a total donkey, and that SSHE, for example, applies to all games up to about 40-80. Sorry, but that has definitely not been my experience. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The cardroom at the Tropicana in Ac has given over most of their table space to small buy-in no limit games and very low stakes limit games. There are times when one 10-20 limit table will be the biggest limit game in the room. Sometimes there won't be anything higher than 6-12. Whenever I play at the Trop, and I've played there a lot, I invariably know at least two or three other AC regulars at the table. Many of them would be playing 20-40 or higher if it were spread. They are not pushovers.

Here's another example. The 10-20 & 15-30 games in New York City cardrooms are the regular games for a lot of people who play much higher in AC. These are folks who play 20-40, 40-80 and higher. Yes, there are donators in the games too. If there weren't they wouldn't be worth playing in. But to assume that its going to play like an online 2-4 game would be a big mistake. You will run into players who will isolate an early raiser when they're holding, say, pocket 5s and they will put you to the test on every street. And they know when to get away from a hand too. Not the typical "plays too many hands and goes too far with them" player. And if you like to limp with your AJo or your QJs you are going to find yourself consistently having to decide whether you should call two more bets and take the flop three-handed when the action comes back around to you.

My point is simply this: 'IYP' has terrific advice for virtually any poker game. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that it no longer applies to today's games.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM

I have Improve Your Poker and Middle Limit Holdem and both are good. I think I get confused about who authored what,was Bob C, involved with "How Good is Your Limit Holdem?" which is on its way from Amazon.com
Old 07-22-2005, 05:30 PM

He wasn't involved in HGIYLHE. It is Byron Jacobs and Jim Brier. I just bought the book.

I loved IYP as well.

I am all about the abbreviations today.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Fantastic book. There is more than enough LHE content to make the book worthwhile for someone who only plays that game. I thought one of the best parts of the book was the series of essays about bluffing and all or almost all of the examples in that section are LHE.