Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Did I play this too fast?

First post here, I've been lurking for over a year, reading quite a bit, but decided I wanted in, so here I am.

Scenario:
Home game, Third blind level (15/30) of a HOE tourney. We are playing PLO/8. Hero is big stack at the table.

Hero limps UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], UTG+2 calls 30, UTG+3 makes it 150 to go, entire table calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls. 7 players to the flop.

Flop comes: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB goes all in for approximately 175. I immediately pot it, basically putting everyone all in. Everyone folds, and my flush holds up against the BB's set of 5's.

After thinking about it, I know I shouldn't have played it so fast. The player to my left flopped the king high flush, and debated for quite a while before folding. I made the nut high and low for the hand, so if I had played it slower I would have accumulated quite a bit more chips. I was just afraid of giving free cards, as I haven't played much PLO/8. Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Did I play this too fast?

Yes, you did. LOL.

Now to try to be serious. I think I just call here. The biggest reason is that I think this looks the least suspicious. It looks like a tourney situation and you are just calling the all in to bust them.

I also think you can trap because the nut low draw. If your draw is only a-5 or something like that you might pot to drive out the better low draws. Since you have the best, let it come.

I am also hoping that a low comes on the turn you can bet at it again to represent you have a made low. Our King high friend will be shocked at the river.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:06 AM

Sean - There are a lot of cards, fourteen in all, you really don't want to see on the turn. The aces, deuces, fives, sixes and queens. And then if you don't see any of these cards on the turn, there will be probably be three additional cards you won't want to see on the river. More than half of the time you'll hate at least one of the next two cards. It's a nice pot already. Why increase your risk of losing all or part of it?

I can understand your consternation, but I think you made the correct play.

Buzz
Old 05-10-2005, 07:01 PM

I thought about it, I'd just call, what hands would be worth PUSHING by the other player?

Some may beat you with 2 cards to come and he CAN'T be knocked out, so you WANT more players for your monster with inferior holdings, if any would come in, it might wind up being all folds anyhow, but worth the risk, IMHO, and of course your worst nightmare came true, 2nd nut flush folded.

Still it's not a horrible move though either. Horrible, I would say if you had folded. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

>TW<
Old 05-11-2005, 01:16 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I was being too results-oriented. I very well could have forced out a set which may have filled up on the turn. I'm more of a limit O/8 player, and used to getting drawn out on, so I just wanted to take the pot down right there. If I were to play it again, I probably would have smooth-called the flop, and potted a safe card on the turn.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 AM

I think you played it absolutely fine. You have to give your opponents the opportunity to put all their money in the middle with a bad draw. They aren't going to pay to draw once the river card has come, and by doing it on the flop, it looks more appealing to people with a set.
Example: I have A2JJ, flop is J56 all diamonds. On the flop if someone shoves all in, it doesn't look a terrible call (of course it is , he has A2 of diamonds you klutz!)
On the turn, if say a king hits, and now he shoves all in, it's an easy fold, with just one card to come, my draw doesn't look nearly as coinflippable. Shove on the flop and make em pay to get half.