$0.5/$1 Omaha Hi/Lo - Sunday, April 24, 22:51:27 EDT 2005
Table Table 11036 (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Sharkbite21 posts small blind [$0.25].
TX_Wrangler posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to beavis69 [ As Th 4s 2s ]
I limp in, button calls, SB raises BB calls, I just call.

** Dealing Flop ** [ Ac, 5h, Qh ] Pot=4BB
The blinds check, I check. Button bets, SB folds, BB calls, I call.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ] Pot= 5.5BB
TX_Wrangler checks.
I check, button bets again, BB calls, I call.

** Dealing River ** [ Ks ]
Somehow I folded this without a river bet.
TX_Wrangler shows [ Qd, 4c, 8s, 8c ] a pair of queens.
daleprescott shows [ Ah, 5d, 5s, 2c ] three of a kind, fives.
daleprescott wins $8 from the main pot with three of a kind, fives.
There was no qualifying low hand.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Leak Finding2

Beavis - I don't see much here. You could possibly raise before the flop, but you don't lose much, in general, by not raising from the Button with ace-deuce. When you win, you'll get a bit more from the first betting round - but you won't generally get as much from later betting rounds. And when you lose, the pre-flop raise obviously will have cost you twice as much. A shrewd opponent will put you likely on ace-deuce when you raise and then knowing you raise from the buttong with ace-deuce, will suspect you don't have ace-deuce on all the future hands when you limp from the button. (Of course there are ways around this dilemma). But at any rate, I don't fault you for not raising here.

On the second betting round, your ace is counterfeited and you have the 2nd nut low draw with four outs to a wheel, plus a back-door straight draw that is worth maybe a fourth of one full out. The non-heart treys are your three full outs here, plus you have one half-pot out to the nut low, plus twelve half-pot outs for the second nut low. In all, your prospects don't amount to much - but you're getting 10 to 1 pot odds for your call, plus implied pot odds. There are those who will scream that you shouldn't draw to 2nd nut low, but you're getting awfully good odds to see one more card. Hard to resist, and not terrible to call the close ones - and, IMHO, this is a close one. Folding would be O.K. too.

Then the turn is sour. Now you're last to act and getting 7.5 to 1 pot odds plus implied pot odds - and you have the same skimpy outs. It's a close decision, more leaning towards folding than on the previous betting round when you were getting better odds. But I don't think calling is horrid.

Would the outcome have been different if you jammed before the flop? Hard to say. Probably not. TX_Wrangler called the pre-flop raise from the big blind with pure trash. And daleprescott, evidently the button, is not going away with A255, even though non-suited.

I don't think you did much wrong here. Nothing I see that is glaringly wrong anyhow. This hand was just one of those things. Happens a lot in Omaha-8. You have a decent starting hand and then it goes pfft.

Just my opinion. From now on, I won't respond unless I happen to read your post and see where you clearly could have played better.

Buzz
Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 AM

Thank you very much buzz.

If you have seen my "I can't win on Party" post, I am trying very hard to find leaks.

Therefore, I may post some hands that look like no brainers just to double check.

I have found some instances where I am probably over playing AA hands post flop - but those are pretty glaring and no need to post them.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:54 AM

Considering the game (loose/passive Party minimum limit O8) I think you lost the minimum here. I have 1000's of hands like this on my PT unfortunately where you just can't hit. Party seems very swingy at the moment. 2 tabling yesterday I was up 15 big bets on 1 table and down 10 on the other. Talk about a rollercoaster [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
***** Hand History for Game 1948234406 *****
$0.5/$1 Omaha Hi/Lo - Sunday, April 24, 22:51:27 EDT 2005
Table Table 11036 (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Sharkbite21 posts small blind [$0.25].
TX_Wrangler posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to beavis69 [ As Th 4s 2s ]
I limp in, button calls, SB raises BB calls, I just call.

** Dealing Flop ** [ Ac, 5h, Qh ] Pot=4BB
The blinds check, I check. Button bets, SB folds, BB calls, I call.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ] Pot= 5.5BB
TX_Wrangler checks.
I check, button bets again, BB calls, I call.

** Dealing River ** [ Ks ]
Somehow I folded this without a river bet.
TX_Wrangler shows [ Qd, 4c, 8s, 8c ] a pair of queens.
daleprescott shows [ Ah, 5d, 5s, 2c ] three of a kind, fives.
daleprescott wins $8 from the main pot with three of a kind, fives.
There was no qualifying low hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Unless you have SB pegged as a loose raiser, a raise from the SB usually indicates a premium hand. His hand may be taking away some of your profitability.

Flop: A call of a single bet is fine. You have 2nd nut low and still a chance to scoop. It is also important that you close the betting.

Turn: I would have folded, but its somewhat close. I like to avoid situations where people may be picking up implied odds off you. If you make a non nut low, you won't know where you stand if the river is raised.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 PM

I think you played it fine, and many successful players would play it as you did.

Personally, I’d have limp-reraised preflop. Limp because your hand plays well multiway but not shorthanded; reraised because almost no one folds preflop and you have a strong hand that’s worth tying your opponents to this flop with 3 opponents.

On flop, you’re getting 10:1. You are more likely than not to have best low draw, and have outs to improve for high, and could even have the best high.

On turn, you’ve got 7.5 to 1 now plus some implied odds, so you have almost enough odds to call just on your gutshot alone. It’s true that you don’t quite have odds to call to have a nut hand, but against just two opponents (one of whom you presumably knew was fishy), their range of hands will be wide enough that playing on is EV+. On the actual hand, you had ~11 scoop outs here, so had an easily correct call.

Note that if you’d raised preflop and now had a very strong hand like 35Q w 2 spades that the pot would now be 1.5 SBs bigger, so you would now need to be able to get in an additional 2 sb’s or so at least 75% of the time to offset the lost bets preflop. The flop and turn get easier to play with better pot odds in, and you can often buy yourself free cards if needed. So limping preflop may well be more correct than raising, but its not clear to me that it is, and raising preflop is also very strong in this situation.

--Greg
Old 04-28-2005, 08:04 AM

Your play looks pretty good here. No major problems that I can see.