Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Harrington On Hold\'em, BLASPHEMY!! Robertie must \'ave wrote this......

Going over the book (first edition) last night, and stumbled upon a "problem" as they describe situations in that book ever so often.

Hero is in the SB in a single table online tournament with 1100 chips. Folds around to CO who limps, CO has 1160 chips.

Hero raises in SB with AJ.

CO calls with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets 100 into 260 chip pot and villain calls

turn is a brick, and they reccomend check it down from here on out UI.

River comes a Q and villain bets 100 and they reccomend calling getting 5.6:1 with AJ high.

Then they say "you got unlucky that your opponent called here on the flop because there were just too many ways he could have been beaten"

Am I alone in thinking this is horrible advice? They're advocating that KQdd should fold here on the flop???

What about calling here with AJ high????

This seems like HORRIBLE advice, and IMO the guy who wrote this hand must have been upset that 15 outs twice got there and beat his AJ. Too bad he didnt bet the best hand on the turn and push KQ out, but wait! He wanted to "check it down"....

The rest of the book is good, but this is BAD.

Tex
Old 12-07-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Harrington On Hold\'em, BLASPHEMY!! Robertie must \'ave wrote this..

Just imagine it was KQ of clubs instead.

Okay?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Harrington On Hold\'em, BLASPHEMY!! Robertie must \'ave wrote this..

I lost my imagination when I started playing poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Harrington On Hold\'em, BLASPHEMY!! Robertie must \'ave wrote this......

Just imagine you don't know your opponents hand, like in real life, and it makes sense to me.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Harrington On Hold\'em, BLASPHEMY!! Robertie must \'ave wrote this......

it makes sense to call with A high on this river?

even the author says "that Q was a really bad card for your hand but you should still call getting 5.6:1"

that's contradictory.

I cant believe he infers that the villain in this hand made a mistake calling the flop.

Tex
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even the author says "that Q was a really bad card for your hand but you should still call getting 5.6:1"

that's contradictory.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not contradictory. He is saying it decreased your chances of having the best hand, but you only have to be right 17% of the time. Or some number close to that.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it makes sense to call with A high on this river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon the chance of a random player bluffing or value betting a weaker ace high might make this worthwhile.

EDIT I've just read that page and he points out your bet was too small on the flop (which 100 clearly is). Given the odds being offered on the flop in the example I agree the KQ was worth a call.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM

[censored] yeah it was worth a call on the flop.

And calling here with A high is just bad.