Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Another 99 hand (with possible butchering)

So I'm reading all these posts about PPs, and this hand comes up...

I should 3-bet preflop right??
I should fold the flop right??

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

River: (15.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 17.16 BB
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Another 99 hand (with possible butchering)

Well played all around. 3betting this hand preflop is really only best when you can get the hand heads up with a loose raiser.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:36 AM

and peeling one off is okay on the flop?? I fully planned on folding any non 9 turn...
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 AM

The action (which you are closing) on the flop has 15sb. You can call profitably here with three outs. You have two 9's, and 1 out for the straight potential (you weren't gonna fold if a 6 7 or T hit were you?). Beyond that though you have pretty strong implied odds on this hand due to the fact that you can easily lose it if you miss everything on the turn.

So this is a call on the flop, and I don't think it is particularly close.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:41 AM

I wouldn't 3-bet pre-flop in this situation because you chances of getting heads up seem small.

I think peeling one off for a single bet is fine as long as you think your hand is good if you hit.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think peeling one off for a single bet is fine as long as you think your hand is good if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG lead out on the flop and everybody called....There was nothing to lead me to believe that a 9 wouldn't give me the best hand....I'm not sure I would have called had it been checked to the PFR and he bet...but because I closed the round and because the pot was getting big, I figured I would take a chance on the turn....

No, I wouldn't fold a card giving me a OE on the turn, to answer jgorg's question....So yeah, I am getting the right odds....
Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 AM

You played this right, PF and flop.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:28 AM

I think you should have folded the flop, although it's too close for there to be a big difference. I think you lose a pretty fair percentage of the time you catch a nine, maybe 20-30%. You do have the backdoor but it's a crappy one because a queen or a jack on the turn doesn't improve your hand very much.
I like to take one off in these big pots as much as anyone but I can't see it here.
Glad you won though. And you did end up with nice impled odds on your call, 34-1, maybe it's not so bad after all.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:48 PM

I guess I must have been playing my pocket 9s wrong all along. I've been under the assumption that it is a standard 3-bet with those. Basically we should only 3-bet to isolate with pocket 9s? What about Ts? How bad do you think the following action is:

UTG limp, MP1 limp, MP2 raise, fold, fold, Hero raise

Thanks,
Spicymoose
Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM

I think the hand is played fine from start to finish. 3-betting the flop here is a bad idea in a multiway pot. The flop play is closer than it looks, because if you hit your 9, someone w/QJ or 67 has you beat, and if no one has those hands, there are re-draws against you, but like I said, it's close, and calling a SB closing the action is no big deal here.