Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Thinking LAG

[ QUOTE ]
Really interesting post. I sort of am that type of player, and so I speak from a little experience. I think you have to fold to the turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but if the only thing you'd raise the turn with is something that beats top pair then you aren't that sort of player.

This hand needs a showdown. Win or lose I would have played the same way.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Of course, but we are working on probabilities here. Most LAGs won't let you out-bet them esp. PF otherwise they are giving their hands away (or something). This player would always cap if he raised PF and was 3-bet. So while you are correct, his cap actually means nothing more than his initial raise and for our purposes this means about 50% of all starting hands.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Ok-- that wasn't included in the initial read. I see a lot of posts that list preflop stats on people and then proceed to assume they play crazy postflop too. Another common one is calling someone a LAG because they raise a lot and then not respecting their 3-bet-- some guys will raise a lot but not 3-bet a lot. I dunno, just being careful.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:34 PM

I agree, I think the check/call line is better as it is almost a certainty he will bet if I check. I win the same when ahead and lose less when behind, he won't fold and, well, checking is a no.

As for QJ, I probably could have picked a better spot, like ANY hand when I am not SB [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] as I have position on him every hand except SB. But this guy was on the table for quite some time. He clearly can read what people play, and if all I do is raise Ax or big broadway that makes life for him very easy. If I show down some weaker hands, then I get him to cap PF and flop when I have him crushed. What I do not want happening is a thinking LAG taking my chips in quantity with his 2-pair/TP hands and folding out/calling down when I have a big hand. I think you need to be a bit LAG against them as well to extract the max. I do not think QJ is so hard to play post-flop in this spot. If I pair I go to SD. As for playing Ax for SD value, well yes, but not much value as LAG will certainly play overcards to a pair, which is not possible with Ace-TP, plus you lose a lot when you have Ax and he has AX. How do you know? You don't. Post-flop is never easy against these guys without something really decent, but I think playing like a normal HU contest post-flop you would not go far wrong.