Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Default 3 handed $2k hand w/ A9o in SB

dont really know the villian, it seems as if he plays ok, and might be getting a little anxious/frustrated.

5 mins ago he limps, i chk w J10o. flop is 1010cKc, i bet 60, he calls. turn, i bet 150, he makes it 350, and i push for his last 900-1000, he folds quickly.

he is about avg. agg and skills for the 2k games it seems. so competant, but not scary/crazy so far.

to the hand: again, its 3 handed. villian has 1100 to start the hand.

he makes it 50 on the button, i call with Ac9s in SB, BB folds.

flop: 9c8x7c, i chk, he bets 100, i call.

turn: 2h

i chk, he bets 250, i push.

im kinda interested in thoughts on all streets.

preflop is sometime a fold, A10 is always a call, so is a suited ace, but A9o ok here?

flop: a CR all in better? or maybe a lead?

turn: again, lead? CR? check call?

thanks guys,

fsuplayer
Old 07-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 3 handed $2k hand w/ A9o in SB

I dont understand this play 3 handed. Firstly the check call on a 2tone flop is very unlikely with a set/2pair.
Secondly on turn I dont think he is gonna lay down anything that beats you (TT-AA). He is not gonna call you with anything that you beat.
I think the key here is that it is 3 handed, people will call with overpairs here almost 100% of the time.
you have a good hand, and may cause him to keep betting with Ace high into you until river,(way ahead/way behind)
Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 PM

I don't play these stakes. But i will post what i think:

Don't like the all in.

Think u get called by the better hands and makes the worst hands fold.

Flop: i would check-call like u did or check-raise (not all in)

Turn: The way you played the flop, i lead or check-call here. Depending on opponents.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:42 PM

BTF I'll either call or reraise, probably more likely to reraise. Don't think it makes a big difference either way.

On the flop I like to lead and see how he reacts. If I check than I'll probably checkraise and see what he does. It's cheaper to lead, but checkraising is more psychologically intimidating to your opponent.

I don't like your turn checkraise push. You have absolutely
no idea where you stand prior to making this move. Villain
might be making small contiuation bets or he may have a big hand. Most of the time you will take the pot down with c/r
push, but the few times you're called you'll be way behind.
I doubt three handed villian will throw away overpair. I doubt he will call with a hand less then nines.

Bruce
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM

I’m not sure I like it. I think the check call / see what comes off on the turn is fine. I don’t really mind the check raise allin on the turn if you know he’s going to bet but that’s very risky. You can’t afford to give a free card at that point. Also, while it may allow your opponent to get off his drawing hand, it also easily allows him to play correctly against you (he’s gonna call with an overpair). You got a great turn card. I say you lead out by over betting the pot. If you get called, check-call the river if it’s not too dangerous.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Preflop call seems pretty standard to me but would have to keep in mind that pot is already over 10% of Villains stack. Also depends on Villains aggression from button, but that seems standard for 1/3 of his hands.

I would be thinking flop CR. Once again though, since Villain's stack is fairly small he could push it all in with a wide range of hands given that board.

If you lead the turn you won't be able to price out draws and then fold to reraise. If you check-call half the deck can be a scare card. With check-raise push he is getting 2:1, so you will price out all draws, but now only get called by hands that probably beat you other than maybe T9 or T8. Don't see any good options here, and therefore I am rethinking the preflop call.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he will call with a hand less then nines.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn checkraise is not so much to get villian off a better hand but to get him to fold a big draw (or, better yet, call incorrectly)

But, I don't like it but for another reason. I think it's way to dangerous to risk a free card here
Old 07-14-2005, 01:02 PM

I'm rethinking my turn overbet mainly because it leaves him with a odd sized stack. Maybe just lead out turn (pot sized bet) and fold to push? Is that too weak?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm rethinking my turn overbet mainly because it leaves him with a odd sized stack. Maybe just lead out turn (pot sized bet) and fold to push? Is that too weak?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, thats what i would do.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have a good hand, and may cause him to keep betting with Ace high into you until river,(way ahead/way behind)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not necessarly a way ahead or way behind board.

you may be limiting his hand range way too much if you think thats the case.

its possible that button could be opening with any two playable cards. suited, connecting, 2-3 gappers, any A or K etc.