Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Skilled LAG play?

[ QUOTE ]
lag is loose aggressive.. the main difference between TAG and Lag is probably the consideration of position. LAG cares less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, I think good lags understand position and players better, and have better hand reading skills. JMHO. I don't recommend people LAgging it up unless you have a lot of poker experience.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Here's my take...
I play a hand when I think it's profitable to do so. Sometimes this leads to playing a lot of marginal hands, sometimes it leads to playing super-tight. Meta-game considerations aren't high up on the scale for me, that is, I don't play lots of hands just so I can get paid off when I make a hand. However if I happen to have played a lot of hands and played them very aggressively I am aware of this, and try to figure out which of the players have adjusted to my play, and then I try to readjust to them. You just kinda go with the ebb and flow of the game and your cards.

Oftentimes, especially in a shorthanded game I raise with marginal hands in late position to isolate the bad limper who I want to play with. Some people might regard this as LAG play, but really it's only a matter of playing a profitable situation in the most profitable manner. Profitable button play for me at least includes a lot of weakish holdings.
whitelime writes more about this in his post.

Raising suited connectors and stuff early is a slightly different story, in that it also serves to widen my hand range and make it harder for my opponents to play against my big pairs. Still, I don't raise UTG if I don't think it's at least neutral EV in the current game conditions. If you get called a lot by bad opponents anyway, you have less need to mix it up. If you have been playing few hands, and the table is also playing tight, then you have a good chance of stealing the blinds. Also your opponent are likely to misread your hand, which leads to profitable situations.

So I don't really care that much about LAG or TAG play as such, I just try to recognize profitable situations. The so called solid players see fewer situations as profitable, and so they play fewer hands.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:57 PM

So to all the inexperienced players who are in awe of the super LAGs that rule the world, don't play a hand just because it's loose and upmixing to do so, play it cause you think you have the best of it somehow, either cause you think you can blow this fellow off his hand, or because you get paid handsomely when you hit. If you're unsure of your postflop abilities and don't think you can play profitably, don't play.

Simple game huh?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lag is loose aggressive.. the main difference between TAG and Lag is probably the consideration of position. LAG cares less.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:03 PM

To the OP: read the thread on agression. It discussed several agressive tactics that people should, at some point, incorporate into their game if they want to succeed at higher limits shorthanded.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:14 PM

So play solid hands like you normally do, and mix it up a little bit. Raise with crap upon occasion... Just do it, who cares if you lose? Run a bluff. You *can* read players online, you *can* make them lay a hand down with nothing.

A pot sized bet does wonders I find. But you have to be careful, if you aren't smart about it, you play like a fish. Adjustments in both directions I've had to make heavily since I started playing poker at all.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:40 PM

according to the 'when to move up' post i should even be in 50nl much less thinking about moving to 200. - have a good idea of your opponents hand by the river.

i suck at that =p

-galahad
Old 10-15-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blame it on Harrington if you disagree. In HOH, p.40, defining the "agressive style" as compared to conservative and super aggressive, Harrington writes that an aggressive player will open with:

"1. all pairs 2. any two face cards 3. ace-anything 4. suited connectors, even as low as five-four suited.

"Aggressive players aren't terribly concerned with positional requirements, so all of these hands are suitable for opening even in early position."

I think it is true to say that position is less important to a lag in preflop play (I mean starting requirements), but lags focus more on using position postflop.

Certainly that is what Harrington was saying.

And to quote another notable American: "can't we all just get along?" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 12:58 AM

Concur. Let's cut it in rubber and stamp it.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:59 PM

The thread on aggression? Is this one I should have bookmarked?