Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Line on QQ play

fairly early, 10 MTT no read. I felt obligated to throw out a probe bet, but should I have just checked?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t930)
UTG (t1685)
UTG+1 (t3630)
MP1 (t860)
MP2 (t2825)
MP3 (t3434)
CO (t2000)
Button (t2455)
Hero (t2065)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t250, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t700) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, UTG+1 calls t250.

Turn: (t1200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t3080 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Line on QQ play with A two flush flop?

is this just a bad play on my part? With the overcard and 3 flush can I even remotely consider calling his all-in?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:15 PM

I check that flop, honestly. If you bet the flop, I suggest betting again on the turn or check/folding.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Line on QQ play

I think the only thing I would have done differently is bet a little more on the flop. I'd make it at least 1/2 the pot. Your bet looks weak and it is not likely that you have an Ace with the flush draw and such a small bet. Turn is pretty standard.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check that flop, honestly. If you bet the flop, I suggest betting again on the turn or check/folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you check the flop you will lose often to hands like TT and JJ or worse who understand that with the Ace on the board you have given up on the hand because you certainly wouldn't give a free card if you made top pair.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:40 PM

Any reason not to reraise preflop here?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 AM

I did not reraise preflop because of the possibility that I am up against AA, KK, AK or even AQ here. Granted AQ is a great hand to be up against, but I would rather see the flop and then decide what to do.

This is a bad flop for QQ obviously. I think that you either have to decide you are going to lose a lot or decide to just let this go.

I think, my bet was too small to find out alot, but the fact that it was just called I think tells us something, because we know that if villian had AA, AK or AQ we know they do not have a 4 flush and they should have raised us to protect their hand.

WIth the third flush card, I think I should have pushed here, or at a minimum bet like half the pot. I thought about this hand a lot after the fact, and I think it is very likely that villian had a hand like KQ, JJ-99. I think that villian's push screams of desparation to get me to go away since I checked and it puts three hearts on the board.

I could be way off, but if he really did have the flush why would he not just bet an amount that would induce me to call?

Do you guys play a made flush or top pair this way? He basically was risking half his remaining stack here with the all-in, so it wasn't like he was going to be out if he lost the hand. He would still have 15BBs if he was called and lost.

With all of the above factors would it appear that QQ might very well be ahead on this hand?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Not re-raising preflop is weak to me. You're out of position and re-raising will help overcome your positional disadvantage. OTB I might just call. Obviously you could be against AA/KK/AK but there's no reason to give a random open-raisor that much credit automatically. Unless you have a specific read that he's a rock (any reads? PF raise %? VPIP?). I might even push (450 in the pot which increases your stack by almost 25% if you pick it up, fairly significant).

But having just called PF I like putting out a probe bet there, but as others have said, larger. Check-fold turn is fine.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM

You really want to reraise pf and build a bg ot OOP?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:03 PM

You didn't reraise PF because of Aceaphobia, so when the A hits the flop why are you probing?