Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Thought process ok?

Villain is 51/1/1.75 Raises with Top pair or better even on a scary board. Calls liberally.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Hey all. I recently decided it was time for me to learn how to play short handed because admittedly I feel like I'm casting about in the dark whenever it gets down to a few players.

For my first post ever, I'm wondering if I could get some guidance about how aggressive I should be. I know that everyone at 1/2 6max on PP is unbelievably loose and tend to be pretty freaking passive. The passiveness leads me to do a lot of questionable value betting that I probably need to rethink.

I raised the flop to knock out the SB and charge the BB in case he's semi-bluffing this fairly coordinated board.

I get lucky on the turn and hit my 7, but if I hadn't when should I feel comfortable betting again? On the turn I would bet again as long as the card doesn't complete any straights or flushes.

What if one of the draws hit? Am I now in a check/fold river UI situation given that if I'm called it's either a better pair or a completed draw? Would you call if Villain wakes up and bets?

If you again assume I didn't get my 7 and turn it into a deuce or something, would you just check behind on the river? I feel like this is a pretty easy decision. With a draw heavy board I feel ok about being called down until this point but how often am I good if he calls my bet on the end? Again would you ever even bother calling a river bet?

Sorry for the somewhat rambling post, but I appreciate all the help. I feel like I know some of the concepts but I'm at a loss when it comes to applying them. I promise I'll get better at this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Thought process ok?

I don't like the open limping. I would either raise or fold preflop, most often raise.

The hand would play out totally different with a preflop raise, but in your line I would simply muck it on the flop. The pot is only 4SB and I don't think it is worth getting involved in it. (I would bet if checked to though.)

The turn and river are obviously fine. If I had played your line and a blank hit on the turn I would bet and that would be the last chip I put in the pot (fold to a check/raise or a bet on the river).