Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Fold Turned Trips?

Heh I haven't seen a hand post from you in a while, but thats because I don't visit the other forums often enough. Hmmm I have to think about this a while more.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 AM

I agree with shillx that this is probably a check on the turn.

What hand is villain checking on this turn? Why would he slow down after all the aggression he's shows so far... QQ? I don't think QQ would bet the flop... even if he did why slow down now? AQ? Maybe. But would he really be that scared of the king? I doubt it.

So I think we are looking at a tricky villain who has us clobbered and wants to get 2 BB out of both us and SB. Let's foil his plan and make him feel silly.

I doubt I could check in real time though. I hate myself.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would highly consider checking behind on the turn. When I'm playing well I feel like I would do so almost always. No hand that is behind has more then 4 outs against us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-10-2005, 04:32 AM

You are throwing away a lot more money by paying off a check/raise here. We will oftentimes have zero outs and other times have just one out. If you can throw it away to a check/raise then more power to you. But paying 3 or more bets to showdown here just can't be good.

Brad
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 AM

Thats a pretty funny picture, but I think Shillx is right here.

He checkraises both of use, I pay him off and get shown AK.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are throwing away a lot more money by paying off a check/raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely will you be check-raised.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are throwing away a lot more money by paying off a check/raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely will you be check-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

When an unknown raises from the blinds, he usually has a good hand. AA/AK/JJ all come to mind as hands that could check here. Why not give us a free draw at a straight that will lose if it comes?

AQ/AJ are drawing to just 2 outs but have little in terms of implied odds since we will slow way down if an ace hits. TT is drawing dead to a chop and has big time negative implied odds if a ten does hit. QQ has just 2 outs and some negative implied odds.

My problem with betting is that we will almost surely end up calling down a check/raise. If we can fold to it, I obviously like betting here. If we can't fold, I like a check since our hand isn't vulnerable and the pot hasn't gotten to a point where we give up too much by checking. It just seems really funny that someone would stop betting on this board when neither of their opponents has shown any strength. A check just seems really fishy to me unless he has something like 88 and is giving up.

Brad
Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 AM

No one has mentioned raising the flop, so I am assuming calling is the correct play. Can someone explain why raising the flop is wrong in this situation.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 AM

Look at it this way: What do you suppose Villain has you on?

You called PF, didn't raise the second button and gutshot on the Flop, you really think he has you on trip K, but you're giving him credit for AA, KJs or AK? Why? Maybe he's got AJ and thinks he just improved to AAKK

Your raise on the flop would have both signaled strength and clarified your situation.

What if another player was in the chair but he suddenly fell ill and you had to sit in for him right after the turn. There's 11 bets in the pot and the action is to you with trip K... you'd fold?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 PM

blindpost:

(I'm posting this while learning at the same time. so don't hurt me.)
I don't fold this in a big pot. Wouldn't villain get more value out of betting the turn? How clever/tricky is the BB? Does he bluff a lot? does he raise AK out of the BB? or JJ? If i was villain with JJ, AA, AK etc I'd bet the turn. I wouldn't want this checked through and miss bets. but i don't play 5/10....

still learning.....
felipe