Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Dealer keeps showing people my cards

I got into this thread briefly until I saw this sentence:

[ QUOTE ]
I do turbomuck. The dealer REMOVES my cards from the muck. This is all at hollywood park of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no one to blame but yourself for playing at such an unprofessional room, then. There's plenty of legal poker rooms in Southern California that will likely not allow abuse of the rule; give them your business instead of these clowns, unless the game is just so good that you're willing to put up with this nonsense.

For a minute I thought you might be at Foxwoods or somewhere similar and have no choice. The right-hand-not-knowing-what-the-left-hand-is-doing nature of responses from the respective floors sounds like Poxwoods too, but I guess that's every big room.

SoCal poker players get no pity from this adoptive New Englander for unprofessional treatment. Don't like Hollywood Park? Don't go to Hollywood Park.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: I Do Not Think Asking to See Someone\'s Hands is Rude

[ QUOTE ]
If that makes me unpopular with the table then that is the price I pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you don't understand poker if you think popularity at the table is independent of your EV in dollars. Granted, the higher the stakes the less popularity matters, I'm sure. Also the less likely the floor is to let you get away with this.

Now, my experience is that at low limits you're more likely to be unpopular by enforcing this rule than by breaking it but YMMV.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Well, you don't understand poker if you think popularity at the table is independent of your EV in dollars.
OK, you have PARTIALLY persuaded me.
For producers I won't ask. For tough players trying to run over me then I will ask so I can understand how they play their hands. If they get ticked then I suppose I won't get a XMas card from them this year.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:48 PM

This thread proves no matter where in the country we play, there is always some middle aged donk making the game a bitch for everyone else.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:32 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Ugh...

This again?

Personally, I could care less if someone wants to see my cards if I've gone to showdown. Big whoop. Get over it. There are more important things to worry about of this game than this.

And yes, it is a weakness to get that bent out of shape over it. It can ellicit other players to do it to you for the sole purpose of trying to take you off your game.

b
Old 11-15-2005, 08:12 AM

Default it\'s not only rude as hell, it\'s majorly NEGATIVE EV

[ QUOTE ]
Most players quit asking to see hands when it is explained to them that what they are doing is rude and is accusing the player of cheating.
According to you and tradition. Screw tradition. I want to see if they are bullying with trash or if they are legit. If that makes me unpopular with the table then that is the price I pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely guarantee you with ZERO doubt whatsoever that the first time you ask to see my hand, I get MUCH tougher when playing against you in the future. I also guarantee with ZERO doubt that if you keep doing this that almost everyone who is the victim of your rudeness will do exactly the same thing, no matter how fishy they might be. Therefore any small EV you might gain by "getting a looksie" will be FAR MORE THAN OFFSET by the fact that everyone will not only play harder and smarter against you, but will likely start pulling the same bullcrap on YOU.

I also guarantee that if someone does this to me twice, or even pulls it at the table I'm at twice, that I will probably start asking to see EVERY ONE of their hands, but won't ask to see anyone else's (who isn't being rude and abusive) AT ALL. I might even suggest that the rest of the table do the same thing, try to get a bandwagon effect going. If you're going to press the point that being abusive and rude is "within the rules," then heck, I guess having it go both ways is within the rules too.

But of course it's up to you, you make your own bed, you can lie in it.

al
Old 11-15-2005, 08:15 AM

As an extrapolation here, a great defense against this kind of rudeness is to alert the floor right away that the "IWTSTH" rule is being abused/overused and get them to put a stop to it before the unpleasantness ruins a perfectly good game.

al
Old 11-15-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: easiest solution

Because of the notion that people can easily cheat online via cellphones, skype, instant messaging, multiple computers in the same household, and let's not forget those major jerkoffs at winholdem who think blatant cheating is just regular strategy, it's imperative that the rules online be considerably different than live game rules. Just the APPEARANCE of cheating online could be disastrous for the companies, thus the added security measures, many of which are designed just to make people FEEL BETTER. Most of the crap that does (or even could) happen online is completely irrelevant in a live cardroom, thus the rules are different.

It would be like trying to apply every single rule in the NFL to area football, it's the same basic game, football, but the context is so different that different rules are necessary, and for good reason.

al
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 AM

if they want to accuse me of cheating they can do it straight up to my face and we can have a conversation about it outside.

majQa' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 10:02 AM

I want to see if they are bullying with trash or if they are legit.

What you *want* is irrelevant. You have no right to abuse a rule solely there to protect against cheating to help you profile your opponent.