Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Problems with Dell 2001FP ebay purchase

Dude. I hate to rub it in, but you bought from krawl420??? What was your first clue he may not be a serious businessman? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is stopping someone from putting up a fake auction page and pretending to ship something to you, and just withdrawing all of your money and telling you that it was lost in the mail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing.

Why anyone would buy from an e-bay seller as opposed to Dell is beyond me. The risk you take to save maybe $20-30 in no way makes up for it.

I had Dell ship mine to friend in the States and then just arranged to get it up to me from there.

Keeping your fingers crossed is about the best you can hope for at this point.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy
Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 AM

you want to be buying stuff like this from 'power sellers' not some random kid.

i know you now know this now, but still...
Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

or 2 let paypal take 30+ days to not get you your money back the account is
negitive 511.00 dollars so paypal will only refund your 40 bux. I do not
want to have to do that but since you filed against me thats the only 2
options I have left as I am the one who is out the money and lcd here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to echo the sentiment here, but you've been had. Paypal will only enter a dispute within 30 days (so, he wants you to drop the claim now, so you can't re-file it, and he gets his balance restrictions lifted.) I assume his account is negative since he had nothing in it to begin with, and now PP has placed a hold on the purchase price amount on his "balance" with your PP claim.

Unfortunately he is right though, you won't catch anything if his account is empty.

Did you use a credit-card funded paypal? Your credit card has MUCH better protection than the paypal and/or ebay buyer protections put together; your cc will eat it and wring it out of the seller/pp much more effectively than ebay and/or paypal will.

http://caag.state.ca.us/consumers/general/creditc.htm

Note: By using a credit card's chargeback feature, you may violate paypal's TOS & get your account frozen. Imo for such a large/valuable purchase, it's worth it to risk the freezing and reopen a new paypal account.

Also, I have no idea how your rights as a canadian are affected, but if you used a cc-- call your issuing bank NOW and see what they can do for you in this *fraud* case. Re-iterate fraud and your non-receipt of goods.

Also, the online auctions forum at Fatwallet may help with more advice as well, chockfull o advice there.

GL, sorry.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:17 PM

If paypal will only refund $40 from an empty acount, I think you're screwed. I don't think the guy has any intention of ever sending you your monitor or refunding your money. He claimed to send it USPS because UPS has a tracking number for every shipment, and if he couldn't provide you with a tracking number, you'd know he's full of [censored].

If he claims to have sent it USPS and they "lost" it, you have no way of proving he didn't send it.

In the future, I would suggest that you insist on UPS, FEDEX ground, or another carrier that tracks shipments, or no deal, even if you have to pay the shipping.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude. I hate to rub it in, but you bought from krawl420??? What was your first clue he may not be a serious businessman? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
good point sir.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:21 PM

and don't buy $500 items off of random strangers over the internet
Old 07-06-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If paypal will only refund $40 from an empty acount, I think you're screwed. I don't think the guy has any intention of ever sending you your monitor or refunding your money. He claimed to send it USPS because UPS has a tracking number for every shipment, and if he couldn't provide you with a tracking number, you'd know he's full of [censored].

If he claims to have sent it USPS and they "lost" it, you have no way of proving he didn't send it.

In the future, I would suggest that you insist on UPS, FEDEX ground, or another carrier that tracks shipments, or no deal, even if you have to pay the shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I specifically asked him to use UPS Ground for shipping right after the auction ended. He did not reply to my email, he just emailed me back about 2 weeks later saying it was shipped, so I assume he went UPS Ground. I just found out when he emailed me 3-4 days ago that he went USPS "because it was cheaper".
Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 PM

Thanks a lot for the info Asia, I will look into that.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the seller's bold comments basically mean that you took over 30 days to file this complaint (which was stupid to begin with). paypal will be more inclined to ignore your complaint due to the stretch of time. the seller currently has $40 in his account (broke people usually are more inclined to steal) and therefore hes saying that paypal wont be able to refund your money as if they comply to your complaint he will just bail and create a new account without redepositing. however, this isnt all true. if paypal has access to bank account information i believe they have the right to EFT the money from his bank and send it to you without the sellers permission. if the guy doesnt have money in the bank then you are just screwed altogether, but at least you may be able to make it difficult for him to sell on ebay again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info TStone...if he has a credit card linked to his paypal account can they take the funds from there or does it have to be EFT from a bank account? Also, if he bails and creates a new paypal account, does that mean he has to create a new ebay account as well?