Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:27 AM

Default talked with absolute on the phone about my slow-downs

Don't feel like digging up the old thread on this.

They sent me an e-mail saying they had read some of complaints on 2+2 and were interested in working with me to resolve me slow-down and sluggishness issues that I experience only when I play absolute.

I talked with their tech-guy today. He was very professional and polite and he had me do a couple of things on my computer and describe what was happening and give him various readings, etc.

He seemed to think the problems I have are more severe than those he's heard about from other people.

Anyway, he's taking some of my data and trying to reproduce the situation I guess and will be getting back to me.

Overall I was very impressed with his politeness and professionalism and am optimistic that perhaps he can figure it out...but for now it's a bit of a mystery still.

He says that they have some pretty old computers there with only a pentium 3 and minimal CPU or RAM (or whatever...I don't know what the hell I'm talking about obviously).
they specifically keep those around to see how AP runs on those older models..etc etc.

Interesting stuff....and I think we may be part-way there.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: talked with absolute on the phone about my slow-downs

You might suggest that they invest in PT and get a couple dozen thousand hands loaded in their DB and run GT+/PV while they're four-tabling on those old machines. That might help exacerbate the slowness issue [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 AM

I don't think that Absolute runs any slower than any other site, it just seems that way. The graphics are just so Gawd-awful that you think you have been damned to stare at them for eternity.

Absolute graphics are the opposite of sensory deprivation, and inflict the same trauma on the psyche, including a complete shut-down of temporal sense.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 AM

Well, this AM there was a software update - what ever they did to the poker engine is da bomb. AP is FLYING. You REALLY don't want to 3 table AP playing at hyper-speed, you just THINK you've had sensory overload, psyche trauma, and optical damage. Imagine 3 AP tables flying around your table like a Windows screen saver.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:09 AM

Just did 100 hands. The players are still slow and crazy, but the software is flying. It's like a bad acid trip that crappy graphics pile flashing around.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolute graphics are the opposite of sensory deprivation, and inflict the same trauma on the psyche, including a complete shut-down of temporal sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoever designed Absolute's graphics should find a new line of work. I will give them another try if and when they clean them up.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:38 AM

for whatever reason it's different on my computer.

absolute is incredibly slow. all the other sites run fine.
i know that most people are okay on absolute because I would be the only one timing-out on my hands.

when i open one absolute table the CPU usage in task manager shoots up to 80%....if I open two tables it's at 100%.
The tech guy and I were both confused by this because it wasn't really using that many MB's under PF usage....and opening a table on a different site does not bring about 100% CPU usage like that. So why it's only absolute that does that is kinda beyond me....but he's going to work on it.

They say that they keep on things some of the time at 2+2...so I'm sure they'll be glad to see that others are reporting super-fast tables and are happy with things from that perspective (the color-scheme and acid-trippyness perhaps being an exception).

My sense in talking with him was that they are trying pretty hard to make their site the best they can.
Obviously their sense of color-scheme is a bit different than some of the players here (I really don't care one way or another about the colors there to be honest) but they really seem to be working hard on various aspects of their site.

Whether they get to where they want to be remains to be seen.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:39 AM

Did you talk to them about making them compatible with Auto-Import with poker tracker already. I haven't been following the saga so I wouldn't know.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 AM

No I haven't talked about that.

They came to me because they had read here about my slow-down issues at AP.
The specific goal of my dealings with them is to determine why it runs so slow on my computer. This would also help them work with others who may be experiencing the same problem (although it seems that my problem may be more severe than others).

I might ask them later about the HH's and pokertracker compatibility.
But I'm sure they have already received some e-mails on this issue and it's up to them really whether they want to work on that or not.

As some of you have noticed from the updates...they have been working on speeding things up and that continues to be their focus as far as I can tell.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:59 AM

That's seriously cool of them. My new goal for June is to clear the Absolute Deposit and at least one reload, entirely due to this dedication.