Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 12:51 PM

Default All kinds of hand, all kinds of choices

Not many hands on villains. I've seen MP call an allin raise on the turn with AQ on a K hi turn board. SB has shown some aggression but looks like he may be good. SB was the one who raised MPs AQ after MP had the lead on each street. He had a small pair + gutshot. Good read? Don't know, but he didn't complain at all when MP sucked out on the river.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($218.77)
Hero ($90.50)
MP ($59.95)
CO ($185.31)
Button ($51.90)
SB ($100.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

I felt MP would bet here and I was going to check raise all in (note his stack). Nice to turn brain off sometimes but it may not be right here.

Turn: ($10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero wishes it was the flop.

Interesting hand, I think. Tear it apart.

Thanks,
James
Old 10-10-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: All kinds of hand, all kinds of choices

I would call. And I hope a 9 or 4 comes on the river.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:22 AM

PF you showed aggression, follow it up on the flop.

call the turn.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:54 AM

Flop - you had a plan based on your read of the other players, so hard to comment on that... I would've bet the flop and 3-bet all in if MP raised and SB got out of the picture. Your plan had it's own merit.

Turn: Bet pot if anything at all. The little bet screams weakness, which could become very problematic if you get raised hard, or don't improve on the river and SB leads out with a big bet.

Kirk
Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 AM

hmmmmm....

fold pf utg, bet/3bet allin on flop...

as played call and make decisions from there.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Part 2

Thanks everyone. I quite like a raise on the turn because:
1. There's no reason to think anyone has a big hand
2. If I hit my draw the board will be v. scary so getting paid off will be difficult and I won't hold the nuts
3. I might gain position
4. Draws won't have the outs they think they have and a call from they will be profitable.

Anyway, I called, MP min raised to $8, SB folded and I pushed (a $49 raise into a $30 pot, I think).

Results to come,
James
Old 10-11-2005, 07:51 AM

I've been experimenting with raising here, seems to get alot of respect. Although these people seem to have trouble getting away from hands so I'm not sure if you have much fold equity.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Part 2

Misread your OP, thought you were the one doing the betting. Ooops.

I think it's better to raise SB's bet since MP may have something that bears no resemblance to this board and just fold, in which case you and SB will be playing for a small pot if you hit on the river, and you won't even know for certain what you really want without gaining any info about his hand. Then again, all you got is still just a draw on the turn, so there would be nothing wrong with not being anxious to get all your money in right away. The way played is fine too.

Kirk
Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I called, MP min raised to $8, SB folded and I pushed (a $49 raise into a $30 pot, I think).

[/ QUOTE ]
MP thought for a while and called with 85o. Turned out I was value raising. I would've thought he'd bet the flop with a pair so looks like I misread him.

I didn't really manage to put him on a hand when he raised the turn but I have a good defensive hand and playing the river doesn't really benefit me. I'd say a 7 is his most likely holding and I want to put that to the test however loose he seems.

I'd welcome further comments,
James
Old 10-12-2005, 01:18 PM

raising the flop helps you out sooooooo much on the next streets. If you are raising pf with this hand you go to be willing to follow it up on a flop like this. This flop is about as good as you could hope for (besides 777, 888, straight flush etc.) not raising the flop is a very bad mistake.

On the turn it is much sketchier, the seven makes a lot of straights come in, plus it could make your straight second best, ifyou hit it. I think you need to raise this turn and hope that the SB doesnt come over the top.