Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 03:03 AM

Default unlucky hand?

playing on UB .25/.50 PL game I have A256 in the BB. I make a .50 raise in case I like the flop. 5 players
see the flop of Q43 with 2 spades.

Despite the spades, this is a great draw. I bet the pot and get 1 caller. I bet pot on the turn of 8s. Now maybe that is nuts, but maybe my opponent will dump a marginal high if I keep applying pressure.

By this time most of my stack is in the pot. The river is
a high blank and we have a showdown. My opponent has
A962 with no spades. I wind up getting quartered by
his 9 kicker. It seems like his calls on the flop and turn were brutally lame, but he did wind up with 3/4s of the pot.

So, did I do something wrong or just get unlucky to find an opponent who could not fold a nut low with (seemingly) no high.

Such a strange game.... If he had a set, I was way ahead, but with the hand he had, I was way behind, though I think he should have believed he was way behind. My 6, which seemed so nice, would have been far nicer as any 9 or higher.

Jim
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: unlucky hand?

[ QUOTE ]
Despite the spades, this is a great draw. I bet the pot and get 1 caller. I bet pot on the turn of 8s. Now maybe that is nuts, but maybe my opponent will dump a marginal high if I keep applying pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

What range of hands do you put him on to call your pot bet here? And how frequently are they dealt? Answer that, and you'll see why potting the turn is bad.
And yes, he should have folded.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: unlucky hand?

Jim,
I think you're worrying too much about this other player and his particular hand which ended up quartering you instead of looking at the bigger picture. He should have folded, but many people just won't let go of that A,2 when there is hope of a low. I would guess he wasn't thinking about getting the high with his 9, he just got "lucky".
But you should have expected to possibly get quartered anyway as you could see the spade flush become enabled. Quite possibly your opponent could have had the A, 2 of spades. So I don't think it was an unlucky hand, as gergery said, what range of hands would you put your opponent on at the turn?
That's Omaha for you, gotta love it.