Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Take this job and shove it

Do you feel it is possible to earn a modest living playing 2/4, 3/6? If so, what would that work schedule look like? Does anyone know how that would work out mathematically (bb/hour etc.)?
Thanks to all you beautiful souls.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Take this job and shove it

To quickly respond...

Yes, it is possible. However, it would require a solid winrate (2 BB/100 or more) or a painfully large number of hands to earn a decent living. It also would rely on rakeback and a continuing abundance of fishy tables, two things which are less than reliable if you're talking about doing this more than a couple years. You also need to factor in health insurance and retirement plans. All in all, if you require a very modest income and are a solid player you might be able to do it, but even then you have to worry about the poker market. I'm not saying the games and rakeback will dry up tomorrow, but no one can say with certainty how long those things will last.

To sum up: yes, but it's pretty hard to do.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:50 AM

Would you kindly elaborate on a rakeback and how one would go about securing one?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you kindly elaborate on a rakeback and how one would go about securing one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rakeback is a deal where you recieve a certain % of your MGR (Monthly Generated Rake) back by signing up with an affiliate when you create your account. Standard for Party skins is 25-30%. You can find out more by checking the Internet forum and the 2+2 classifieds.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:56 AM

I think you mean 157%
Old 08-27-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you mean 157%

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't let that deal get out in the open.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:38 PM

It's possible, as I'm one of those people doing it.

uw_madtown pretty much laid out the particulars, although I admit that a good chunk of my monthly income also comes from chasing bonuses at multiple sites, as that provides a steady "base" that my winnings add onto.

Not to sound like a jerk, but keep in mind that if you are asking whether it's possible, then you may not be at a level where you can make that happen. I actually worked a full-time (50+ hr/week) job while I played as a "pro" another 40+ hours/week to make sure I could make the income numbers, staying up late and a ton of play on the weekends. Only once I was able to prove to myself that I could maintain a consistent winrate, month after month, did I make the leap.

I generally play between 4 and 6 hours per day, 7 days/week, although I work in days off here and there. I spend additional "downtime" each day (2-3 hours) reading books, forums like this one, and reviewing my hand histories. I am probably putting more hours in now that I was when I was working a "real" job, but to be successful you do have to work at it.

There are quite a few articles on this here - you might want to check the 2+2 Magazine archives and forum for some articles that Ed Miller and Alan Schoonmaker have put up on this topic.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 PM

Yes. It's possible. But you have to be a good player. You have to put a normal workweek in in terms of hours. You have to be able to multitable...like 6-8 tables. And if you play full time you should get a 30% rakeback deal.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be able to multitable...like 6-8 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

True for 2/4 or 3/6 full, but higher limits full or at 6m, you can get away just 4 tabling if you put in a solid amount of hours with a solid winrate.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:21 PM

Yeah, I was assuming full. But actually, for a "modest" living...some people could play 4 tables of full as well.

But really, to the OP, if you have to ask the question...then the answer for you is more than likely no.