Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Has anyone mentioned that Fischman played great?

[ QUOTE ]
I also found him very tough to read, bluffing or not, he gave NOTHING away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched him play a little bit at the main event this year. He appeared the most focused of any player I saw. It was sort of unnerving.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 PM

he is very underrated around here. I tend to root against the young guns of poker, but he happens to be one of the players that i think will be around for a while.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM

But you know the opponent was Allen Cunningham, right?

There is no standard play here, it depends on your opponent, versus Allen I think he could have won more chips if he bet the turn. Because with his play; check the turn and bet the river, he won exactly O extra chips.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey does anyone know what devilfish said to him after scott folded 88 and asked him "did i fold the best hand?"

devilfish had kk reraised all in preflop and after scott's lame speech and fold devilfish went around high 5ing

i taped the show, stopped the tape, rewound it, and still couldnt figure out what the hell devilfish said to him

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "If you can't beat them, join them" in reference to the other people going into the crowd...he ignored Scott's question.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you know the opponent was Allen Cunningham, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true you can't expect opponents like Allen to make a big mistake vs you, but I agree with Don's analysis that Scott's line was arguably the best way to induce a bluff/bet on the river.

I imagine you would have been even more unimpressed if he had just smooth-called the flop, like most players would have done instinctively.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 PM

But Allen called the raise in the flop Shane, so Scott should think he has something and therefore the bet in the turn. Hard to think Allen called the raise in the flop with the intention of bluff betting the river.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM

I understand your point (also, do you think Allen would have paid Scott off on the turn if he had bet, considering that Allen's hand actually improved?) but Scott is checking the turn for a reason: It makes his flop play look suspect--like he was just trying to steal the pot. I really think checking the turn gives Allen ample opportunity and reason to represent a queen on the river. I'm sure there were other considerations inherent to the hand that neither of us are qualified to decipher.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:13 PM

When I saw the action in the turn, that was the 1st thing I thought, what would be the optimal size of the bet in the turn such that, Allen called or Allen reraised him but not folded.

By the way, Allen is not representing a Q in the river, if Allen has a Q, he's not playing the Q that slow, and Scott knows that. But you're right about other considerations we don't know about.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:26 PM

He's shown that he has some serious talent. The issue that most people have with Scotty is the manner in which he conducted himself when he first burst onto the scene in 2004
Old 08-24-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's shown that he has some serious talent. The issue that most people have with Scotty is the manner in which he conducted himself when he first burst onto the scene in 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no problem with that, for the most part. His comments about taking over the poker world were not appealing, but I didn't mind the bit about falling onto his back on the poker table, nor his high-spiritedness after winning.

If he cut all ties to Dutch, then he would be on my list of good poker players who are also nice guys.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)