Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Default A day at the Taj

For what it's worth, a quick review of a trip to the Taj Friday 7/8.
I hadn't been to the Taj in about 4 years, normally when I play B&M in AC it's at The Borgata.
Got there about 9am, no wait for any tables.
Sat at 3/6 for about 3 hours and won $35.
Was completely stupified by some of the other players:
One guy tried to push all in twice, another older gentleman sitting next to me had no concept of what blinds were and I patiently explained it to him on several occasions. The play was exceedingly loose, players called pre-flop raises with almost anything (One guy in the BB chased down QQ when he called a pre-flop raise with 2-6 and hit two pair on the flop).
Played in the 12:15 tournament, which, quite admirably started right on time, with 184 players ($50+10, $5000 in chips). Again the variety of players was quite wide, many/most knew what they were doing, but several had to have rules explained; one guy pushed all-in with about 5000 on chips to win a $75 pot- but I guess this is not shocking news.
I busted out (AQ beat my AKs) in the mid-40s and played in a $100 SNG.
I played because I was there for the day and wanted to play another tournament, but frankly, the set up left much to be desired:
$20 rake. Each person starts with $1000 in chips and blinds go up every 15 minutes. And winner take all. Obviously an all-in fest. In a game of luck, I turned out to be the lucky one getting AA two hands in a row. Down to 3 players I busted 33 when my A3 made a straight on the river. We played heads up for about 5 hands and agreed to chop it 70-30 when I had over half the chips.
All in all a good time. I thought the dealers were very competent. Many players were weaker than I would have expected (It had been about 6 months since my last B&M trip and I think I expected everyone to have read SSHE and HOH- it took me a while to adjust).
That's all folks.