Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Curtains: flop decision

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you bet the pot and then fold to a reraise all-in, isn't it a large -EV situation? I think i'd have to reluctantly call, which is why I'd hate to allow the situation to occur.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a large -EV situation. If you assume the re-raise has a reasonable chance of meaning he has 2 pair or better, it's borderline, and I would reluctantly fold.

If I couldn't fold here, I would check behind.

But, in some ways checking behind just seems like avoiding a potentially tough decision and giving in to the big stack. We are afraid of the re-raise all in on the flop when it would create a difficult, borderline decision, so we check and get to the turn where the decision will probably be much simpler.

If the big stack is going to be a bully and force everyone to play any hand for their entire stack, this is valuable information to have, and now is as a good a time as any to find out.

I understand the reasoning for checking being a good (perhaps the best) play for this hand, but there is still a lot of poker to be played before this tournament is decided and I like the idea of finding out something about the big stack.

Will he call from his blind then check/fold a not too scary flop for a standard continuation bet?

Also, I hate the idea of raising preflop, checking behind on the flop, and folding to a bet on the turn. If that happens, I'm basically saying "I'm afraid of your stack and if you don't fold to my preflop bets I will only bet when I hit the flop so rest assured you always know what I'm holding".