Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Im Getting Divorced... Can Anyone Help

[ QUOTE ]
OOT

Heres the bottom line. Im 21, married for one year, make $100,000++ a year and live in a $550,000 house. We have $40,000 equity in the house. We also have one child together. How painfull is this gonna be? Anyone know? Am I gonna have to pay alimony on top of child support or what? Basically I took this little trailer ass girl out of nothing and threw her into this lifestyle. She thinks I broke her heart, I think I just broke her hymen. We both drive Mercedes. How much is this [censored] gonna cost? There was no infidelity I just cant stand her anymore. She does nothing. She was a model when we met in NY. Then we came down to FL and got married. Help!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just get a lawyer and he or she will be able to help you better than anyone in OOT can.

PS: "I took this little trailer ass girl out of nothing and threw her into this lifestyle. She thinks I broke her heart, I think I just broke her hymen"
This is not the way you should describe the mother of your child. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: A Link To A Pic

Here we go again with the pics and blogs.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:24 PM

** Be advised... I AM NOT A LAWYER** but here are some things to think about... as you kick yourself for making such a huge mistake

i am going through this is GA, so FL law is probably going to be slightly different... they couldn't make it that easy... So before i start - my first advise, go see a laywer...

anyway, as far as you kid... GA's law is anywhere from 17%-23% of your gross yearly salary for child support. you do the math. Either google it or call a lawyer to find out how FLs laws work concerning CS. I have tried to go the "can i get custody" route, but because of the age of your baby, the courts are more likely to give primamry physical custody to your ex-to-be. Sounds like she was a "stay at home mother" and therefore has been the kids primary caregiver... you might be out of luck... Unless she is an unfit mother, then fight for your kid... It will cost you $$, but it is worth it. that is going to be between you and your laywer to decide...

Your Stuff, If it was your before the marrige, it is still yours, if it was bought after the "I Do's" you are probably going to either split it, or sell it. again, TALK TO A LAWYER.

I think that the one thing you have on your side is that you haven't been married long... might help you with the spousal support issue. It's not like your ex is to old to go to school, or support her self on her own... or that she wasted 20 years of her life following you around the world taking care of your kids... and now cannot find a job...

Anyway, goodluck and again, find a good lawyer.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We were both with the same agency in NY. Heres the link with a pic and bio of her from a competition here in Florida she won.
http://talentrock.com/SuccessStories...;storyTypeID=1

[/ QUOTE ]

So who wants to be the one to contact her and direct her to this thread?

The Lexington Brian thread will eventually run out of steam, and we need to start thinking about getting another one brewing to entertain us in the future.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:31 PM

We need more pics, but preliminary analysis says that you shouldn't get divorced.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM

Why don't you just urge her to join the gym? She'll whip that post-childbirth tummy back into shape in no time.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:34 PM

haf
Old 09-14-2005, 02:34 PM

I think you have wrong attitude towards this divorce. You shouldnt be worrying about how much a divorce will cost you. Do whats best for your child. Your issue is with your wife. You got married way to young bro, i mean your posting here for advice on getting a divorce.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 PM

is it possible to see a marriage counselor, or are you really past that stage? Seems like you hardly had a chance to work this out. "I"m sick of her" seems like the kind've thing you'd say about a roommate who'd never keep the house clean.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Child support is a given.

Florida is not a community property state, so alimony is a possibility.

Ask a lawyer, you'll get a better answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean not a community property state? Also, my dad is a co-signer on the house, help me at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a community property state, typically the courts will look at all property acquired during the marraige and split that down the middle. There is _generally_ no alimony paid. However, only 9 states are community property states and to the best of my knowledge, Florida isn't one of them.

The courts generally prefer that the divorcing couple work out a fair deal themselves and then they'll sign off on that. However, many divorcing couples refuse to do that (especially once lawyers get involved adding a layer of indirection - making it much easier for things to get nasty) and the courts end up having to arbitrate.

Your father being a cosigner on the house should be irrelevant. As part of the divorce, the disposition of the house has to be considered. $40,000 in equity is part of the marital estate as is the $510,000 in debt. A lot of times what happens is that the couple will sell the house and split whatever cash comes out.

One person can offer to buy the other out of their equity and re-mortgage the house in their name. Sometimes one spouse will be allowed to live in the house while the other has to pay for it.

Its hard to say - that's why you need to get a lawyer.

But, before you go down this expensive, disruptive and painful path, maybe make another (first?) attempt to reconcile.

The absolute worst year of marriage for many people (my wife and I included) is the first. Once you figure out what it takes to get beyond it, sometimes the marriage just gets better and better.