Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Is Bush a Conservative

Depending on their mood, my conservative friends love to bestow and/or revoke the conservative label upon George W. Bush. Now we learn that the Bush Administration authorized apparently illigeal programs to spy on the American people.

Is Bush still a conservative this morning? It is conservative to spy on Americans and completely ignore the bill of rights?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Is Bush a Conservative

Bush is conservative, but not a conservative.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Bush is a disgrace to the conservative label. Barry Goldwater is rolling over in his grave.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Can you please point me to any elected officals who are real conservatives?

If you can't, can you point me to any think tank/policy organization that is conservative?

Actually, can you point me to a working definition of conservatism that you guys all agree on?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM

What difference does it make? Does it matter if a guy is named "Jack" or "John" when he's steping on your face with his jackboot?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My own representative, Mark Green, is pretty conservative.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't, can you point me to any think tank/policy organization that is conservative?

[/ QUOTE ]
AEI, Heritage Foundation, Tax Foundation, EPPC, ACU, Federalist Society...there are many. Is this a serious question?

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, can you point me to a working definition of conservatism that you guys all agree on?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is impossible. Can you point me to a working definition of liberalism that all of "you" (those who call themselves liberals) agree on? Good luck.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Rick Santorum, the Republican Senator from PA (who, incidentally, may not be around too much longer with Bob Casey, Jr. running for his spot) would qualify.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good list above.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be about small government and personal responsibility, but I'm not too sure anymore...
Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM

The term 'conservative' is a complicated label. Bush's version of conservatism is very different than previous notions of conservatism. Bush believes in the involvement of the federal government at levels much higher than most conservatives have in the past. It would be fair, I believe, to say that Bush is not a fiscal conservative (even though he's made statements to the contrary...his actions speak louder than his rhetoric here in my opinion).

On the other hand, Bush can accurately be labeled as a social conservative. The basic values and priorities on social issues that he has are what lead working class conservatives to support him.

I don't think the fact that the term 'conservative' is in some ways accurate and in some ways inaccurate to describe George W. Bush is any more problematic than the term 'liberal' is in some ways accurate and in some ways inaccurate to describe Hillary Clinton.

Given how much Bush has had to deal with, it would be shocking if all of his decisions could be simply boxholed into a single ideology or philosophy.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 PM

NH, sir.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you point me to a working definition of liberalism that all of "you" (those who call themselves liberals) agree on? Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Liberalism is a public philosophy that demands citizens think of themselves as members of a national community committed to greatness. Instead of understanding liberalism as a series of policy plans generated by policy wonks or activists, I think liberalism is a humanist project committed to pushing people to think beyond the interests of the self. Liberalism demands that citizens think of public purposes and improve the quality of collectively shared resources. (paraphrased from When America Was Great: The Fighting Faith of Postwar Liberalism.)