Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-25-2005, 11:13 PM

Default A Clarkmeister Play: The Ace High

The table is your typical donkfest, SB is a tight passive player who will call down with top pair and will only raise trips and better. Button is lag-ish, and I have seen him semi bluff his draws with not enough equity plenty of times (as of this hand he is 8/9 for semi bluffs).

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

This is probably my biggest problem, I would have folded to a three bet but the fact that he is sort of a LAG, that was entirely possible, but even donks realize a power play like a c/r on the turn (How do I know this? Because they love this play!). I would have lost the same amount if I were to call down, but win one less BB without this turn play.

Comments?

River: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Though villain is LAGish, I thought that if he had a pair he would want to show it down. He didn't seem like the type to value bet. I concluded that this was probably a busted draw bet.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

This hand was inspired by Clarkmeister's older hand with a calldown with AK. The only reason I could come up with in this hand is that this pot is just too small.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: A Clarkmeister Play: The Ace High

Why don't you just bet the flop? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 11:16 PM

If you're going to peel the flop, fold the turn. You have nothing.

Clarkmeister called down with AK against a LAG. You called down with A4. There's a difference, do you see why?

Why do people think that LAG means "bluffing every single time he bets" and thus call down regardless of how weak their hand is?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Thats actually a better line.

Truth is, I was 4 tabling 6 max tables and I sort of autopilot check this flop almost all the time. Is this a mistake?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 PM

I was sure I was not up against another A.

Ace high with AK is still ace high with A4o, right?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:20 PM

3-way with a rock and an aggressive button limper, you must bet this. You have an ace high gutshot and even your 4 could help you win since it beats any three or deuce. Its probable nobody hit this flop. It's worth a bet.

I fire again on the turn vs. a LAG then I give it up.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 PM

I don't like the way you played this. Does Button bluff raise or just bluff when he's leading out?

6-handed, knowing that SB is tight-passive, and button is LAGish I'd be more inclined to bet out on this flop w/your gutshot+overcard if Button doesn't bluff raise. Even if he does bluff-raise, I'd still be inclined to bet out. If Button raises and SB coldcalls you can call the flop bet and then fold the turn UI. If he reraises you can let the hand go. I would definately lead at this flop against these opponents.

I don't like this raise on the turn. I hate the call on the river. What are you beating? This pot is so small. Why are you trying to go to war over it?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:26 PM

Can you explain why it is a must bet? I don't have any indication that I am ahead of SB, and I am probably ahead of the Button.

Do I fire at it and hope that SB (the rock) doesn't call? Is this a value bet? If I fire at it and the Button calls, I could have possibly given SB the pot odds to call and I would never know if I am ahead or behind. Wasn't it a wiser choice to give the SB a 4:1 call than a 5:1 call?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why it is a must bet? I don't have any indication that I am ahead of SB, and I am probably ahead of the Button.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not be ahead but you're betting to take control of the hand, hoping to induce a fold from a better hand. You say SB only comes along when he's got a hand, so his response to your bet will give you a clear cut answer as to where you're at. You have no indication you're ahead but what indication do you have that you are behind? Bet out and let him tell you where he's at.

Betting also lets you know where you are at vs. Button, given reads.

Bet this flop as a semi-bluff. Hopefully you fold out both players. If Button comes along or raises you've got to rely on reads to know what to do next. If Sb comes along or raises, you've got to hit your straight draw on the turn or get out.

Again, the pot's so small. No need to go to war.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this raise on the turn. I hate the call on the river. What are you beating? This pot is so small. Why are you trying to go to war over it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that the raise on the turn would give me some information. My read on the button was he is capable of three betting top pair and up. As stated in my first post, button was 8 for 9 on semi-bluff attempts. I call the river because a small pair would check behind a turn c/r, while a monster would have 3-bet the turn. I could only conclude that Button was bluffing, and only the strongest of players would make such a value bet here.

As I stated above, my only apparent error was picking a pot that was already too small. But when I found myself in my situation (at the turn), I stuck by my mantra to play my best.