Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Why no more terrorist attacks in US?

[ QUOTE ]
2) If the US had stopped a very serious threat that was beyond the infancy stages we DEFINETLY would have heard about it. There is no way all the completely embattled agencies would not be tooting their own horn after saving thousands of lives...

[/ QUOTE ]This is incorrect. The CIA does many great and wonderful things that we will never know about. They don't care how popular they are because they are not up for election. Not even one revealed source is worth good publicity.

Of course that was before this. For refuting the Bush Administration so many times during the 04 election, the CIA's days as a nonpolitical may be in danger.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:54 PM

I don't believe it. The people in power right now would be tripping over themselves to brag about the American lives they saved. Anything that has been stopped never passed the infancy stages of planning.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 PM

I think what you call the long term the neoconservative would consider the mid term. I think Bush's long term plan follows his belief that only democratic governments will cure the conditions that foster terrorism. I think that in the short term, Bush's plan was to bring the fight to the terrorist's doorstep and occupy them so there were no attacks on the homeland in the short term. In the mid term, this will probably be used in rhetoric that creates terrorists, however in the long term they will be won over by the decadence afforded by the global markets.

Not sure if he's right or wrong, but I do think he took a look at the big picture before making his decisions.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
U.S. Foreign Policy has in the past, at present, and probably for the foreseeable future, fostered the creation of terroists.

[/ QUOTE ]
no, that's a massive oversimplification.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:28 AM

I couldn't disagree more...

Lao Tzu, a second century chinese political philosopher, said it best:

"fill their bellies and empty their minds."

his philosophies united china in a little less than a decade. the dynasty he helped create lasted about the same ammount of time. he was castrated and tortured to death.

[ QUOTE ]
In the mid term, this will probably be used in rhetoric that creates terrorists, however in the long term they will be won over by the decadence afforded by the global markets.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, that's a valid proposal, but people want more than 'decadence' out of life.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if he's right or wrong, but I do think he took a look at the big picture before making his decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course he did, but i think he came to the dead-wrong conclusions.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can begin to get an idea of the prism through which the left sees the world here. Governments in which Clerics are in power through free elections are theocrocies and therefore, to be seen as ethically indistinguishable from the brutal Taliban, the only government to win the al Qaeda seal of approval. But what can you expect from a group that trembles everytime the President prays?

[/ QUOTE ]

where the heck do you nutty neocons get this stuff? PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEWS!!! the goal of a big portion of iraq's new parliment is to create a constitutional institutionalization of islamic law. there is a difference between electing a cleric, and forming a document intended to establish a particular religion as the very SOURCE of a nation's law. for example: we live in a constitutional-fedralist-republican-democracy. the islamists in iraq want to create a ISLAMIC-constitutional-parlimentary-demorcacy, which would be a theocracy, "government of a state by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided". unless you disagree with mr webster about the definition od 'theocracy', i'd say you have some more homework to do.

geez. go take a political theroy course, and come back when you know what you're talking about. bye [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, disagreeing with bush's mideast policy does nott make one a member of "the left".
Old 04-12-2005, 01:52 AM

GET OUT OF HERE YOU TROLL!!! THIS IS A FORUM FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO DISCUSS POLITICS, NOT JUST FLAME THE OPPOSITION!!!

are you hack, btw? i think maybe you are...
Old 04-12-2005, 02:09 AM

He is not Hack. Okay?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:13 AM

HACK!!! nice to see you, old buddy!! where've you been? i do soooo miss your posts here in the politics forum. (no, seriously)
Old 04-12-2005, 02:17 AM

My wife and I just had our second child in February, so we've been kinda busy. Why? Did you think I had been banned? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Nope, I stopped posting voluntarily. I lurk maybe one hour a week on here.

Take care, bud.

Hack