Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: So, I\'m moving to Malta.

In 2002 I moved from Edmonton to a foreign country despite speaking little to none of the native language and knowing 2 people in the country (distant friends working in the company).

How good an experience it is for you is dependent heavily on you; living in Alberta is a pretty ethnically un-diverse experience, in a place with a very high standard of living.

You may want to ask for an escape clause in your contract; something whereby after 3 months, you have the opportunity to terminate the contract with no penalty, in case there's some particular thing you can't handle (weather, crime, missing mommy, whatever).

Also, and I can't stress this enough: get your non residence papers filed with Revenue Canada. Thats what prevents you from having to worry about your taxes while living overseas.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks for your concern. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

I've lived a bunch of places, including in the fourth world (third world countries with no hope of improving), and travelled to a number more.

There's a 6 month get out of jail free card in the contract.

I'm not Canadian and I'm pretty sure my NZ taxes are sorted (no income in NZ = no taxes, we don't have imperialistic visions).

I'm actually more worried about having a real job after two years of self-employment as a real-time satistical analyst and working on ski hills.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:00 PM

"a real-time statistical analyst" - is this a euphimism for professional poker player? If so, I approve.

Best of luck with your move [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 12:09 AM

Uh pretty much yeah.

Thanks, Malta (and the job) sounds like it will be a lot of fun. My business is just getting interesting, so it sucks I have to cut back on that, but yah, I'm stoked.