Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Wanting to play when I\'m running bad

The last couple days I've experienced more bad beats than usual, and my bankroll has taken a bit of a hit. I stopped playing yesterday when I hit my threshold of misery, and came back today, stepped down a limit, and it just kept going wrong. Thankfully I caught myself blatantly spewing chips on the first orbit and got out.

But dammit I want to start playing again already.

Anyone else get this? I'm on tilt, I know I'm on tilt, and yet I still want to sit down and grind out some hours because. Well, I have absolutely NO excuse as far as I can see.

Perhaps it's because my worldview is that I am a winning player and being on tilt shouldn't affect that.

Most likely it's because I'm a little bit addicted.

I'm pretty sure someone is going to say something like there's no such thing as being a little bit addicted, but some of ya'll know what I mean, I'm sure.

Maybe I am just a functioning, and profitable, gambling addict. I hate -EV games and excessive variance though, so maybe I'd be better described as a workaholic.

Yeah, this probably isn't a high value post, but it's kept me from playing for a few more minutes, and strengthed my resolve to not play tonight (and probably not tomorrow, some parts of real life are annoying me right now so I'm probably just going to play it safe).

For the record, I score pretty low on the 20 questions test, even without making poker exceptions. But now I just sound like I'm justifying my degenerate ways.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Wanting to play when I\'m running bad

we are on a poker message board constantly, we are all addicts. I also exibihit this often. I think it is that you know (or feel) you can beat the game and want to end the cold streak asap. I have been known to fly past "the threshold of misery". Congrasts to you for being disciplined and holding off. Don't forget your a 2+2er you can do anything. Good luck, let me know when the cards even out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we are on a poker message board constantly, we are all addicts. I also exibihit this often. I think it is that you know (or feel) you can beat the game and want to end the cold streak asap. I have been known to fly past "the threshold of misery". Congrasts to you for being disciplined and holding off. Don't forget your a 2+2er you can do anything. Good luck, let me know when the cards even out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta second what LoosenUp said. I get the same feeling when I've taken a beating. It's part of my competitive nature to want to immediately go back out and set things right. Good for you though in recognizing you need a break. I hope I can do that more in the future.

DJ
Old 06-28-2005, 08:45 PM

Go get drunk? Once you're drunk you can say, "I can't play now, I'm drunk!"
Old 06-28-2005, 09:10 PM

Playing while on tilt is like playing with an injury in sports. Sometimes, you can play through the pain, and still perform at a decent(read: not 100%) level. But, they don't have the DL in sports for nothing...some injuries just can't be played through...they need time to heal.

The point I'm trying to make is that your first priority should be attending to your tilt, not worrying about getting back into the game or not. There will always be a game to play, 24/7...but playing when you know you're tilting is like starting out already down for the session.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:21 PM

I'm in the same situation and was contemplating writing about this today. I play low-limit 3-6 stuff and was doing pretty well until last night. I just saw some awful starters and couldn't play anything. Then I started seeing AA, AJs, and AKs, when I got drawn out by a 67s (who raised me preflop) and a 47o!! But I feel like getting back in tonight. I know the cards only even out over time and feel like if I just played more it would swing back. Should I just take the night off?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same situation and was contemplating writing about this today. I play low-limit 3-6 stuff and was doing pretty well until last night. I just saw some awful starters and couldn't play anything. Then I started seeing AA, AJs, and AKs, when I got drawn out by a 67s (who raised me preflop) and a 47o!! But I feel like getting back in tonight. I know the cards only even out over time and feel like if I just played more it would swing back. Should I just take the night off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask yourself, "Am I going to play solid poker tonight or am I going to let the past dictate my actions?"

There's your answer.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 PM

Good advice. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 PM

I would consider taking a break. I had a huge downswing day where I decimated part of bankroll (i play NL). I got some bad beats, but I also made a lot of mistakes because of tilt.

I took three days off (got drunk a lot). I came back the next week and everything is fine.

If you find yourself trying to take time off and find you do not have the patience to do it, then you may really want to examine your addictive traits and reconsider playing poker.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go get drunk? Once you're drunk you can say, "I can't play now, I'm drunk!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice except I'm trying to limit myself to one drunk a week (lasting less than 24 hours before anyone comes up with the loophole get drunk now and keep drinking till Saturday).

I think I'd be back to playing winning poker if I went back now, but whatever, time off is nice too.