Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 11
3. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)/A Day In The Life :: The Beatles 65 59.09%
6. Piano Man :: Billy Joel 45 40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Life is defined by...

Actually, no. I think life is defined by many many "small" decisions, and we perceive them either as "small" or "large" depending on what we expect, and what happens as a result of them.

However, if the context of the question is in judging a man's worth or the merits of his life, then I think if 10 deeds vs 100,000 each carry 50%, the 10 deeds are so significantly worse than the trivial good deeds he did repeatedly, he is a cruel man.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 AM

its one of the million girls passing you by that stopped to talk to, and maybe end up spending yur life with.

such absurdity.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:35 AM

with frosts two roads poem, ive noticed that once youve choosen one road, youl often meet another fork in the road, an another, etc.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 AM

I think the phrase "defined by" is wrong as it relates to the decisions you make that effect the course of your life.

For example, I think there's two distinctions that can clearly be made for a grown man. One is how he's defined, which is done by others, and the other is what decisions has he made (few/many - large/small) that have made the biggest impact in his life.

You're defined by many people for different reasons. Those who know you best, friends and family, may see you as a good, hard working family man who provided for and loved his family and was a great friend. Forum observers may see you as great or horrible. How you're defined is based on others perception of you and can vary greatly.

However, decisions that you make, such as turning down jobs or marrying the wrong person, can have a tremendous effect on the course of your life and how fulfilling and rewarding it will be. That won't vary much at all.

I have two family members who turned down civil service jobs when they were young. The job now pays $60K a year with great benefits and 20 yr retirement. They list that one decision as their single biggest mistake in life. They both would be retired now taking home more money than they're still working for. A friend of mine failed the urine test for the same job, got DQ'd, and feels the same way. His biggest regret too.

But those decisions don't have any effect on they'll be defined in life.