Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Questionable call-down

Villain here is somewhat nutty... raises a lot preflop, plays way too many hands and is normally aggressive postflop... nothing to out of the ordinary but might overplay some hands here and there.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

My thoughts are that the flop and turn action ought to really set the alarms off. I know when I make this play that I usually have my opponents crushed. To me it looked like the classic two-pair A4 or A5... I can think of a lot of limping hands from this guy that have me pretty well beat, but I don't want to start getting weak. I also don't want to spew. Good time to fold or is the call-down ok?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Questionable call-down

Plays too many hands, and raises a lot preflop? Given his actions it looks like he'll be broke soon from the table. I'm automatically never folding top pair to him. The question then is how many bets to put in.

Given his normal aggression postflop, I may have just called the flop raise and bet out the turn to not give any free cards, while calling down in the face of any further aggression (folding if 2 bets back to me at any point on expensive streets).
Old 12-11-2005, 05:19 AM

OOP is just a tough spot to be in here. What do you think about just plain calling down from villain's flop raise? The only thing I don't like (as you pointed out) is that it potentially gives a free card and it keeps MP in the hand (which may not be the worst thing).
Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OOP is just a tough spot to be in here. What do you think about just plain calling down from villain's flop raise? The only thing I don't like (as you pointed out) is that it potentially gives a free card and it keeps MP in the hand (which may not be the worst thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I said I may do. In the heat of battle and his table image, a 3-bet is not out of the ordinary but calling the flop raise and donking the turn seems best.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:31 AM

nah i think this is fine. i call this down.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:40 AM

I don't see the point in smooth calling the flop to set up a turn donk, all we do is miss out on another bet on the flop when we have a decent edge.

Gotta raise preflop.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 AM

Preflop: UTG limps and states 'my hand is worse than ATs', MP limps and states 'my hand is worse than ATs', you look at your cards and realize that your hand is ATs and that is better than the random hand that BB has. Hummmm.....my hand is better than the other 3 players. Raise it up! Remember, you aren't obligated to bet on a crappy flop.

Flop: Perfect

Turn: Based on your read I think you can call down. However, I don't think folding is bad, either. It's probably not going to matter much one way or another. If the opponent was a little more straightforward then this is a pretty easy turn fold.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Raise preflop, the rest seems fine. If he wasn't so agressive, I could see folding the turn.