Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

Fair enough, and well said.

I knew it was very likely that the implications in your posts were not intended. It is hard to see beyond our own experiences, for you, for me, for everybody. It is something I am trying to get better at for many reasons. One good reason is that you become better at reading your opponents if you become better at understanding viewpoints that are alien to your own.

Always nice to have a friendly debate.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the classic quote by a PETA spokesperson, which sticks in my mind, is: "Every day is 9/11 for chickens."

Also, there was a fund-raising event at a Florida aquarium. One of the hors-douevres or snacks served was sushi. PETA issued a statement saying that eating sushi in the presence of fish was offensive, and that doing so would be akin to to eating poodle-burgers in the presence of dogs at a dog show.

[/ QUOTE ]

These people really don't understand the lack of intelligence in animals, apparently. Do they actually think that the fish comprehend that we are sitting there, outside the tank, and eating other fish? I sure don't believe that to be a possibility. As such, how can it be offensive? You can't offend something or somebody who completely lacks comprehension of what you're doing or saying. It is impossible to offend a fish.

If PETA should ever win the day, and make us all vegatarians, I guess the next fringe group will be those advocating for the rights of plants. sigh.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 AM

Wouldn't a chain of hatred and jealosy be more likely if you took your 200 million, used it all for yourself, and hung everyone you loved out to dry?

You tell me which is worse. Giving enough money to all that are important to you so that they can either retire or pursue an alternate career that makes them happy and proves fullfilling OR

You using all the money for yourself and all the people important to you have to continue to grind it out everyday at jobs that niether make them happy nor are fullfilling. Obviously this is not the case with all of my friends and family, but most of them would rather be doing something else besides working. Why not give them that chance?

I'll roll the dice everytime that one or more of my friends and family will not handle the money well. If the rest leave thier crappy jobs and pursue a happy existance, it would all be worth it.

And if you think that this money will cause someone to "no longer follow the law" then first of all, why are they an important part of your life and second of all, don't lend money to that person. And yes, I realize this disgrimination will cause problems, but It's not enough for me to agree that giving the money to no one is a good idea.

Peace

Goodie
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll roll the dice everytime that one or more of my friends and family will not handle the money well. If the rest leave thier crappy jobs and pursue a happy existance, it would all be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting when someone who doesn't have any money thinks that money is the key to happiness. It really isn't. Finding what you love and striving to be good at it costs nothing.

If I gave away millions to my family, I know of at least one member who would be dead within months from a drug overdose. Others would never leave the couch.

One of my poorest family members is driving with a suspended license. Her license was suspended because she couldn't afford to pay her traffic tickets. Both traffic tickets were for not wearing a seatbelt. Despite her tough financial situation, she and her husband just bought a new car. Previously she inherited $20,000. It was gone in three months.

How can I help this person by giving them money? She won't even help herself by buckling a seat belt.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a chain of hatred and jealosy be more likely if you took your 200 million, used it all for yourself, and hung everyone you loved out to dry?

You tell me which is worse. Giving enough money to all that are important to you so that they can either retire or pursue an alternate career that makes them happy and proves fullfilling OR

You using all the money for yourself and all the people important to you have to continue to grind it out everyday at jobs that niether make them happy nor are fullfilling. Obviously this is not the case with all of my friends and family, but most of them would rather be doing something else besides working. Why not give them that chance?

And if you think that this money will cause someone to "no longer follow the law" then first of all, why are they an important part of your life and second of all, don't lend money to that person. And yes, I realize this disgrimination will cause problems, but It's not enough for me to agree that giving the money to no one is a good idea.

Peace

Goodie

[/ QUOTE ]

I still am puzzled by why you keep using these extreme examples. I think a lot of people would do different things with a sudden windfall of 200 million vrs 3-5 million.

It didn't occur to me that Greg had given his folks money after his win, because from what I gleaned in the stories it didn't sound like his folks particularly needed it. On the other hand David Williams has apparently helped his mom out a lot, but it sounds like she did need it.

If I won a few million, I probably wouldn't be giving my parents money unless they had a big reversal of financial fortunes because they simply aren't in a place where they need it. On the other hand, if I came into 200 million I'd probably go to them, and go, look this is just silly mad money, and I'd feel a lot better if you guys would accept some from me.

I don't know whether they would or not, because again, they don't need it.

--Zetack
Old 10-07-2005, 01:26 PM

You obviously didn't read my post where I said that if I were to win 3-5 million, most of my friends and family would have to fend for themselves. Nevertheless, my parents would be taken care of. If they chose not to accept it, so be it, but the offer would be made nonetheless.

Peace

Goodie
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In my honest opinion, you are greedy as hell. You make tons and tons of money sitting at a computer playing a game, and you WONT EVEN GIVE YOUR FRIENDS ANY MONEY? My gosh, how cheap can you be, please... your no friend. Thos guys are college students

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets change this up a bit.

Lets say you're in college with a fairly 'normal' amount of money but more than the average college-student.
You have a friend of yours who doesn't have as much money as you...but he isn't exactly homeless or anything.

2 or 3x a week this guy comes up to you and says "Give me a dollar."
Yes. I can afford to give him a dollar.
But if he is constantly just asking for me to give him a dollar i am very quickly going to get annoyed and he is no longer going to be my friend.

Regarding the discussion of giving the dough to your parents:
My parents are doing just fine and dandy financially so they really don't need anything. They are both very comfortably retired.
I could certainly afford to buy them some fancy present at XMas though.

If the situation were different than OF COURSE I would cut them a check.

Sammy Sosa came from a very poor home with 14 kids and no indoor plumbing (or something like that).
Now his mom and siblings have all they could ever hope for.
Very nice house, nice cars, jewelry etc.
And he built some other shops in that area too.

It's all a matter of circumstances.

In my situation - cutting a million-dollar check for my Dad just because I could suddenly afford to do so would be roughly equivilent of him cutting a huge check for me right now.
I don't think he should cut a giant check for me right now and would find it to be quite silly if he did.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:19 PM

I transferred $100 to a good friend's Party account last November. He's a college student. I used to talk to or see him almost weekly. In December, he lost his mother. He was depressed and asked me to transfer another $100 to him. I knew his financial situation would be really precarious then, but what could I say, I did it. He hasn't called me or answered his phone (caller ID, he knows it's me) or returned my phone calls in ten months. I don't even care about the money so much. It's too bad I lost my friend. Maybe he'll pay me back someday, but in the meantime I realize he probably can't afford to pay me back and he's probably too embarressed to talk to me.

It's probably best not to let anyone know you are doing well unless they have money too. Then the issue is less likely to even come up.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Probably not replying to the right post thread-wise, sorry.

Anyway, I don't see why any poker tournament winnings should be shared. You risked your money, and more often than not you'll get nothing, even assuming you're better than average. That one huge cash is going to be partially offset by smaller losses. This is also true for lotteries, but due to differing utilities of different amount of money it's not such a big deal there.

Now, if somebody close needs the money, I'll break my bankroll for them. They will pay me back if / when they can. If they can't, no problems. But I'm not randomly giving money unless I trip over a sack of gold. (So I didn't "work" for it or risk anything myself .. it's truly found money.).

In the more extreme case where the amount is so ridiculous that it makes no difference to me (and this amount is different for everybody) then I might start offering. But definitely only for people who have been there for me in the past .. parents and siblings, some close friends.
But it's highly unlikely I'd do anything where I could win such an amount. I don't play the lotto and I'm not entering a 1M person tournament with a 10K + 100 buyin, winner-take-all. If someday I enter and win the WSOP I'll feel I earned my prize and want to keep it all (again, if somebody close needs some specifically that's different).

Rahul Chandra
Old 10-09-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
girls are just not allowed to pay on dates as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO.....