Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 AM

Default I hate pocket pairs even more...

OK villain seemed relatively sane up till now, not a maniac by any stretch.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Uh oh...
Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero ...

What should I do? I can see either folding, calling, or raising and folding to 1 3 bet. Which is best?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Re: I hate pocket pairs even more...

what's so "uh oh" about that flop? doesn't change much other than the slim chance he has trip Queens (unless he's capping AQ PRF). so the question is:

"what would you do if the flop was 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?" would you fold? answer that and you find your answer for this flop.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 AM

The uh oh was for the preflop cap - against sane oppostion, JJ is usually in bad shape against a PF capper, agreed? So now the flop has 1 overcard, which is unlikely to have hit. I see the capper having QQ-AA, or AK. So I should just fold this right here? Or is it worth raising him to know where I stand? That's what I'm not sure about.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:30 AM

For me so much depends on a read here (a luxury we rarely have....doh) Anway do you have any PT stats on villain? How many hands have you seen him play and what has he shown down? If so, can you add anymore to your read on villian aside from relatively sane but not a maniac...

Im thinking if he is reasonably tight then he isnt capping anything you beat except AK so a fold is good.

but without a read or only a few hands its a tought spot but I dont want him pushing me out of this for one SB so against unknown Im thinking reraise and fold to a 3 bet...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 AM

oh okay, sorry i misunderstood.

my thought: fire and fold to a 3-bet, or if he calls, fire again on the turn and take the free showdown UI on the river.

fold to a c/r on the turn.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 AM

I'd probably raise. But others would argue calling down. I'm not sure which line is best against a sane player.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 AM

"my thought: fire and fold to a 3-bet, or if he calls, fire again on the turn and take the free showdown UI on the river."

Ok but he acts first so assuming he calls our postflop reraise and then he fires first on the turn.....are you saying reraise that turn and fold to turn 3 bet?

Im wanting a showdown on this hand but Im wanting it cheap.....if he checks the turn to us after calling our reraise post flop are we taking the free card?

I know, Im weaktight..... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 08:55 AM

Against a sane opponent, I'm usually calling this down, unless another overcard hits. You can raise here, but this seems to be one of those cases where villian will stop bluffing with a worse hand or reraise w/ a better one. The only benefit I can see to raising is that it may cause someone to drop AK by the turn and miss a chance to suck out on you, or you may get called down by TT, but I don't know how often that will happen either.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:58 AM

Well I raised him, he called, and then promtly CRed me on the turn, at which point I chucked it. I don't really like calling down very much - we are behind to a normal capping range far more than we are ahead. I think this is one of those times where finding out where we stand earlier, on the cheap streets, is much more +ev than blindly calling down.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 AM

i like calling calling calling and betting if the villain checks at any point. unless the villain is a super fancy .5/1 player s/hes not going to check raise you if you take this line often enough for me to even care.