Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Flyers sign Forsberg... NHL changes

Flyers signed Forsberg to a two year contract...

They are now over the salary cap and will be forced to trade other player(s) ... Roenick said he will mostlikely be traded.

Bruins are looking to trade Joe Thornton

Chris Pronger was traded to Edmonton

Many other trades over the past few days... What do you think of Forsberg going to the Phlyers? What about the other big trades over the past few days? What NHL team improved the most?

…and what team will win it all this year?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Flyers sign Forsberg... NHL changes

Edmonton definitely improved the most despite the fact I dont like the pronger trade.

The reason I dont like the pronger trade is because Brewer is too good for the price he is paid. They could have used the pronger money to add someone. So the trade is good for them but not as good as if they didnt trade and used the money elsewhere. Peca is also a very good pickup.

Flyers may get a lot of the attention with Forsberg, Hatcher, and Rathje. But, people are forgetting they are losing Leclair, Roenick, and Amonte. Those are 3 very big names with a lot of scoring that cant be replaced by Richards/Carter and Forsberg.

Pittsburgh - They are going to score some goals, but are going to let a lot in. Tarnstrom will lose a lot of his value because he will lose his ice time to Gonchar. Lemieux will undoubtedly not play a lot. Sydney is going to be good, but can he make that much impact now. Remember this was a disgustingly bad team before. Recchi, Gonchar, Malkin, and Crosby can't fix things as easy as many may think. It also takes time and having big names doesnt always equal wins. Look at the Rangers for the last 6 years.

I also like the Canucks, however i'm very biased here. Before they lost Bertuzzi they were in the upper echelon of the league. This is before many teams got weakened by not being able to spend 50 million. So far the only losses are Malik and Sopel, but that opens up 3 million of cap room for a very good D-man. So basically the same team with greater restrictions on other teams.

rJ
Old 08-04-2005, 09:07 AM

I agree with you about the Flyers. They also lost Recchi and they dont have, and have not added any offensive minded defenseman. Forsberg also seems to get hurt too much and he will definately not play the entire season. Overall I think the Phylers changed too much and lost too much, this will really hurt they this season.

Any team that is now in a good position to make a run for to the finals?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 AM

The Bruins aren't trading Thornton. Mike O'Connell has been adamant about that.
I think Edmonton has made some of the best moves so far, but I'm withholding all judgement until the rosters are put together.
I know the Bruins have made some good moves, but we still need a real second line center and probably another defenseman or two before we have the team in place. Our season will depend on whether or not Thornton can stay focused all season and Raycroft (or Toivenen) can continue his stellar netminding.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall I think the Phylers changed too much and lost too much, this will really hurt they this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The people mentioned as lost (Recchi, LeClair, Amonte, Roenick) are all past their prime and not putting up close to the numbers they used to. Amonte never really showed anything in this town, and LeClair has been trash the last few seasons. Recchi and Roenick still give a good effort, but they're just too old.

Plus, the Flyers have a ton of young talent coming up from the AHL. If everyone stays healthy I think they can make a deep run.

I'm so excited about Forsberg. He's probably my favorite player...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 AM

Based on the rosters as they are today, I would say the favourites for the finals are Philly (ugh) and Calgary.

This depends on Forsberg staying healthy, and Kiprusoff playing close to what he did the last season. Calgary probably has the best top defense pair in the league in Regehr & Phaneuf, and if they land Niedermayer, they will have the best defense period. Add in Iginla, and it doesn't matter who else is on the team.

EDIT: Niedermayer went to Anaheim... Calgary still has a damn good defense.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, the Flyers have a ton of young talent coming up from the AHL. If everyone stays healthy I think they can make a deep run.

I'm so excited about Forsberg. He's probably my favorite player...

[/ QUOTE ]

Staying healthy is key, Forsberg has not played close to a full season in three years. Even last year in Europe he had a broken wrist and a concussion. Forsberg is an exciting player to watch but with constant injuries, it gets old.

I know most of the players the Flyers lost were past their prime but they were still putting up good numbers, they will be difficult to replace.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 PM

Bruins just signed Alexei Zhamnov, filling the 2nd line center role.

In the wake of the Forsberg signing, the Flyers have dumped Roenick off to the Kings.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know the Bruins have made some good moves, but we still need a real second line center and probably another defenseman or two before we have the team in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave Scatchard 4 years at 8.2 million is an absolute disaster that can be likened to the 5 million per year they signed Lapointe at a few years ago.

rJ
Old 08-04-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the rosters as they are today, I would say the favourites for the finals are Philly (ugh) and Calgary.

This depends on Forsberg staying healthy, and Kiprusoff playing close to what he did the last season. Calgary probably has the best top defense pair in the league in Regehr & Phaneuf, and if they land Niedermayer, they will have the best defense period. Add in Iginla, and it doesn't matter who else is on the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are so far off here.

In theory Philly loses 11 million in payroll and you think they get better? They simply can not replace the points lost from recchi, amonte, leclair, and roenick from the AHL and junior ranks. They may let in fewer goals though.

Calgary had one lucky run in the playoffs. They were ranked about 13/30 in the regular season. Kipprusoff will be very hard pressed to repeat what he did last year, when he was a mid season pickup who was a backup for another team.

I can not even believe you would put Regehr/Phaneuf as the best defensive pairing. Name the last rookie defenseman that made an impact. Defensemen take much longer than forwards to become proficient in the NHL. Bouwmeester is the only dman that comes to mind who played a full season straight out of juniour in a long time. Phaneuf will not make the all star team this year and is probably a 4 at best on the depth chart of almost any NHL defense corps. He will not score more than 30 points this year. He's a boy who has only played against boys, what do you expect him to do with a 245 pound Bertuzzi leaning on him.

The only explanation is that you are a flames fan and can not see through your bias. Just to make sure I am on pace here I asked someone who i respect their hockey knowledge greatly and he also says you are on crack.