Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Probably a beginners question

I don't play many tournaments so this might be pretty standard for you, it isn't for me:

No limit tournament, 80 people participating, first 9 get paid, we start with T1000 and the blinds are currently at 25-50. Blinds go up approximately every 15 minutes.
In the first hand I win a big pot without having to show my hand, a couple hands later I bust some one with AJ against his A5 and I have limped approximately every hand, since there hasn't been much raising. I have about T2500 when this hand occurs:
I get T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the big blind, there are 4 limpers, including the small blind and I check.
Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], small blind checks, I bet 200, UTG goes all in for 825, the other limpers fold.
UTG hadn't played many hands so far.
I folded, but I'm afraid I should have called. If I call and win I really have a big stack, and for me to be real comfortable playing aggressive that's what I need, I tend to wait for good hands if I don't. And if I happen to lose, I still have a well above average stack.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Probably a beginners question

I think you made the right decision by folding. If UTG hadn't played many hands, he's probably not looking to steal. Odds are, he's on a flush draw, and he might sense weakness in your hand beacuse you checked in the BB with four limpers, probably meaning to him that your non-raise signifies a mediocre hand. His post-flop bet to me represents a flush draw, maybe even top pair. His raise means that he didn't want to see whatever he flopped go to waste. I think he was protecting a flush draw.

You, on the ohter hand, don't have a flush draw nor flop a pair. Sure, you have an open-ended straight draw, but to me, it's not worth it to committ any more chips to the hand with no guarantee of a straight. So I think you made the right call.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM

u should just check here and not bet, u had nothing and u were drawing to straight, but there was also flush draw possible.
He might have been on a set and wanted to protect against flush draw.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:02 AM

This is a basic pot odds problem. You are a 2:1 dog to hit your flush, and the pot is not laying you these odds. Add to this the fact that you could hit your straight, and lose to a boat (if the villain is on a set), or a flush, and this is an easy fold.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:12 AM

This is still a fold, but I think that it's possible your 10 and maybe even your 7 are outs here. However, as has been mentioned, a J or 6 of hearts might be no goot. If you call, you are either in decent shape or slightly bad shape, according to the pot odds - easy fold in a tournament.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM

I call.

The pot is laying you 2:1.

I wouldn't have bet the flop as your hand is not that strong with a flush draw on the board. After you bet you are getting the correct pot odds to call.

Villain is betting like he doesn't want to see the turn.