Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM

Default AK flopped trips with lots of aggression

I joined the open challenge for december and I promised to post more hands so that the person who is matched with me will actually see his choice of avatar for me when he wins.
Here's a hand from about a month ago.

5/10 6 max at Party.

I'm UTG and raise A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], button coldcalls and the SB calls as well. Both opponents didn't seem to get extremely out of line for the time I had been at the table.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, button raises, SB 3 bets and I cap. Both call.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, button raises, SB coldcalls, I 3bet and button caps. SB calls.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call, button raises, SB 3bets, I fold, button caps, SB calls.

Who backs off earlier, who calls down? And why?

Peter
Old 12-01-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: AK flopped trips with lots of aggression

I think this is just about perfect.

Flop cap is good and it looks like the SB raised his flush draw then realized you probably have a king and cold called twice on the turn. The button has done nothing but stand on the gas after just cold calling preflop so it smells like 66, 55 or a rather unlikely K6 or K5. But even against the pairs, you have a 7 out redraw on the river if he is indeed full already.

River call looks good given the read so far and once it comes back to you 3-bet, SB has his flush and the button is full. You're in 3rd place.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:00 PM

SB looks like he hit his flush draw (maybe high cards-AJs, AQs?). Maybe I'm just paranoid but it looks like button has AK also. I can only imagine that the button would the be the only one of the two with a boat on the flop.
I probably play this the same way. The attempted check-call on the river is what I would try although I'm not sure if I would call the 3bet back to me knowing the button is going to cap. When it's 3bet on the river here, you're beat. Either a flush or boat are out there.
This is probably going to be read-dependent. Nice pot though. 33BB by my count. I know results don't influence the analysis, but I'd love to know the outcome once everyone comments.

EDIT: Don't you hate when your response takes so long that someone else gives your same answer and it looks like you just copied. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 07:41 PM

I like it, I can fold to the river bet from the SB though.

Guido
Old 12-02-2004, 02:58 AM

Festus 22 and usmfan pretty much summed up what my thinking was.

Guido, I was indeed thinking about folding for the riverbet, but the pot is huge so I don't think folding there would have been good.
It does open up the way for maybe a slightly more interesting discussion. On these forums it's pretty much standard to not fold for a single bet in a big pot with a good hand. Suppose I call the river bet from SB, button raises and then SB just calls. It then is again only one bet to me, do I call that as well?

Peter
Old 12-02-2004, 03:17 AM

Yea, it really really really really looks like SB has a flush here. At least 95%.

If this was heads up I'd pay it off, or if BB was in front of you and had just called, I would overcall. But acting in between (and personally it sure looks like BB filled up on the turn), I think you can just fold for one bet the first time.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:34 AM

Yes, don't fold in a big pot for 1 more bet is one of the things you will learn when you come to this forum. It's a good rule when you begin but to get really better you must give yourself odds to have the best hand all the time. I know you don't do that and probably most of the posters don't do it on the river. I try to figure out what chance I have that I would win. There are about 22BB in the pot when it's back to you, now what chance do you have that your hand is still the best? I think it's about 98% that you are beat by either the SB or button. When you think it's 95% that you are beat it's very close and you have to call. When you think it's 93% that you're beat you have a clear call. This probably sounds a little vage but you will get better in doing this when you practice.

Because I think it's about 98% that you're beat I would fold the river too when the button raises and the SB calls. This time it's probably even less that 98% that you have the best hand.

Guido
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 AM

Default ur play looks good on

flop and turn, but if these are reasonable players than you are beat, someone filled, so i probably fold
Old 12-02-2004, 05:01 AM

Default i think i would

make that nasty overcall, too much dinero in there
Old 12-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Button had 55 for the flopped boat, SB had K8 for the rivered higher boat.

Thanks all for your replies. I think one of my leaks is that I call down too often. For the first 3K hands I played in 5/10 this was no problem, because it seemed like all my opponents ran bad, having to make bluffs to win so I had to call. I will post some more hands where it probably is very obvious that I should have folded.

Thanks again,
Peter