Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:11 PM

Default somewhat off topic question

This seems to hold true in a lot of areas of my game, so i turn to you fine gentleman for some advice and guidance as a means of help. I am a winning player, but not as much as i feel i can be. And here's the reason:

Multi tournaments and cash games, i can be winning the whole way, and it will always come down to the one hand where i have a monster hand, catch a nice flop like top 2 or something of that nature, and walk into a set and lose a lot of money. It's a pretty basic scenerio, and i'm 100% sure that every one of you that read this post have it happen to them fairly often. But please, i'm not looking for the everday answer of Sh*& happens. I'm also 100% sure that the ability to not marry my hands and fold would be the routine answer to overcoming this.

I feel as though overcoming this is what will really take my game to an entire different level....so basically what i'm asking is, any advice, or strategic defenses and/or any other tips for recognizing situations such as these that you can offer. Naturally i'm going to lose money in the hand, that's poker that's expected. What route can i save myself though, that saves me some more bets to keep myself in the game? I guess that would be the real question. Minimzing loss.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: somewhat off topic question

The answer really is that [censored] happens, though.

MTTs are very high variance because they only pay the top 10% and the payout within that is pretty top-heavy. Online MTTs are very very high variance because they only pay top 10%, the payout is top-heavy, and the blinds often go too fast. Part of the variance comes from running a big hand into a bigger hands; part of it is comes from bad beats; part of it comes from never getting a hand; part of it comes from drawing a table with me at it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], etc.

Anyway, post hands, and quit whining.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:56 PM

lol, thanks noah. And i do post hands, truly wasn't whining, but i am trying to figure out an aspect of my game here.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, thanks noah. And i do post hands, truly wasn't whining, but i am trying to figure out an aspect of my game here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're gambling with an edge (hopefully), but you're still gambling. Think about how many hands it takes to FT in a large event and realize that the odds are very good that you'll eventually run a big pair into a bigger pair or get setted on or something. Certainly there are times when these spots can be avoided, but for the most part, the solution is some combination of the following:

1) have a lot of chips so you can afford to deal with this
2) go deep enough when this doesn't happen to counteract all the times when it does
3) have this happen to you less frequently than the average player (i.e., be more willing to get away, but be careful that you're not losing opportunities) so that you don't have to suck out as much as the average player to win and are therefore +EV.

Again, post hands not "can I fold two pair" because there are very specific spots in which you should fold the nuts, but in others, you should call with A-high.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:29 PM

I am locking this and letting it drop. I wont delete it because there are replies, but posts like this aren't good for anyone.
~Justin
Closed Thread