Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2004, 04:16 AM

Default Does anyone else do this? (repost, no responses on internet forum)

This idea just struck me tonight and I wanted to run it by the room here. I play mostly Party .5/1 and I usually look for a table with a high avg pot size. But tonight I went looking for a table with 3 or 4 players at it regardless of pot size. My thinking is thus:

These people didn't START playing in a 4 handed game, they probably say in a full game that was either boring or just happened to have a lot of people leave suddenly. So 5 or so people left for whatever reason and because the pot size was never big it was slow to attract new players.

The other 4 people were also boring players but they were just too lazy to get up and find a new table and post or wait for the BB so they just sat there while the avg pot in the game went down to about $4 and no new players even noticed it. There are ALWAYS a few games like this when you scroll down on the table list.

These people didn't WANT to play a shorthanded game and more importantantly these people don't know how to play a shorthanded game. So I go in there and raise the roof with any kind of edge I can conceive of and play extremely aggressively and also limp if they let me with a bunch of hands I'd never play in a full game.

I can usually expect to do pretty well against beginnners who never wanted to play SH in the first place and also I get a total LAG image at the table. Now 10-15 minutes later when the table starts to fill up, all the players who were there originally are giving me loose calls because they don't know that I've dramatically changed my play and that I generally have much stronger holdings if I'm getting as aggressive as I was before.

So, sitting at these 3 or 4 player tables when I first log on has a lot of great things going for it as I see it, although tonight was the only time I've tried it. Does this make sense? Does anyone else do this regularly?